Puppy Aggression

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by KariT, Jul 29, 2018.

1. KariT

KariT Registered Users

I just adopted a half lab half dachshund from a local rescue. He grew up around 14 dogs which he got along with. I have a dachshund and a cat, his foster mom said that he is great with other dogs and he does not seem interested in cats. He does the typical nipping while playing which I expect from a 4 month old puppy, but what I did not expect is him to go after my other dog when she was given a treat (I gave him a treat and then her a treat). My sister came over to visit the new puppy and my dachshund went to go greet her and so did the puppy but out of the blue he decided to again go after my dachsund again. I made sure my dachshund and the puppy met on nuetral grounds (met at a park and then went on a walk together, there was wagging of the tail, growling and then ignoring). He also is growling at my cat which has caused her to start hiding. Is he showing true signs of aggression?

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there and welcome, it would be hard for anyone to diagnose aggression without actually seeing your dog. In addition to that, a puppy's behaviour during his first few days in a new home are not representative of the type of dog they are growing into, so try not to worry at this point. :) It's going to take your pup a little while to settle in.

Food is likely to be a flashpoint and a pup that has lived with so many other dogs may have learned to grab or go without. I would feed them separately until you have taught your pup how to behave around food (and when being given treats) without other dogs being present. If your pup hasn't had much contact with cats he may find yours a bit scary, make sure she has plenty of escape routes and try to keep your puppy busy with your attention when the cat is in the same room.

Here is an article you might find helpful

Puppy Aggression

You'll hopefully get some tips from others on how they introduced their new pup to other dogs and cats. Let us know how you get on!