Puppy almost 4 months and adorable..but..

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Supermom, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Supermom

Supermom Registered Users

Hi, Maximus is almost 4 months. He is getting to be well behaved but still has his moments. I would think he is behaving like a regular lab his age but still I will ask here:
    1. How do I teach him to not jump on people visiting home or when on a walk? There are so many different idea out there that am confused.
    2. He follows commands so well at home but not when distracted.. I guess this might be fine at his age or not?

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

This worked for me. Always have treats in your pocket (I just use kibble). Every time he is about to come in contact with people have him sit , say "Good sit" then treat . Do this every time. It is a very slow process but it does help. Our Lincoln is 8 months old and rarely jumps on people .

Plum's mum and Michael A Brooks like this.
  3. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

Same with Willow she wants to jump up everyone that passes.
    She has either rolled in something smelly or has dirty paws not what people want on their clothes.
    When I see people approach I get her to sit until they pass and give a treat.
    Most people come and say hello if she is clean.
    I do the same when we have visitors she says hello nicely if she jumps up she is told down and praised.
    She is told to sit and wait for her meals as she was over excited when being fed.

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Normal part of dog training just not the age of your dog. Dogs do not generalise well. So cues that work at home have to be essentially be re-taught in a different environment or when facing different levels of distractions. It is called proofing aka consolidation.

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-obedience-training/

Supermom and Edp like this.