Puppy and possible slightly clunky hip

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by fionamcam, Mar 11, 2015.

1. fionamcam

fionamcam Registered Users

Hi all
    I took Mabel to the vet today for her 10 week vaccination. When he was examining her he said her right hip felt like it might be a little bit"clunky" but not to worry as it may be nothing.
    Of course I am now fretting about this. Both her parent had well below average hip scores but I know this is no guarantee. Has anyone else been told something similar? Am I being neurotic?!
    (I have already taken out pet insurance).

2. A.Causer

A.Causer Registered Users

Re: Puppy and possible slightly clunky hip

That's an interesting one. Was there anything that prompted the vet to examine the hips? It's not something I routinely do in youngsters unless there is a clinical reason. Everything is still growing, muscles are poorly developed, bones very soft etc so I'm not sure how much useful information can be gained. Plus it can feel strange or uncomfortable to a pup and I'm very keen on happy smiley fun initial consults wherever possible to create positive associations with the vets. I've never heard of hip issues at 10 weeks old other than an occasional dislocation. Maybe someone else will have a personal experience to help advise you.

3. fionamcam

fionamcam Registered Users

Thank you.This is reassuring in itself - to hear that everything is still growing at this stage. He just rotating her legs a bit when examining her. She didn't object. He told me to be very careful with overexercising and weight control which of course I will be.

4. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

They are growing so fast, and in odd spurts and starts that I wouldn't worry too much. Obviously at this age, you don't want her leaping, jumping, doing stairs and that kind of thing too much....but honestly I would just keep my eye on it, have her rechecked at each visit, and just see how it goes.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Better to be cautious with Mabel so no stairs, discourage jumping, watch her weight and keep to recommended exercise. Although her parents have got good hip scores it doesn't mean that Mabel can't have a problem. Juno is scheduled for an elbow dysplasia op tomorrow and she's not yet 9 months old and her parents have the best scores you can have here in France.

Wishing you well and don't let worries spoil your fun as you raise and train you puppy.