Puppy barking for food

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Looby Lou, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

We have black lab brothers who are 15 weeks old. They are really good, but one of them, Barney, has started barking when he has to wait for his dinner, and whenever anyone else is eating. He doesn't do it much other than that. I have tried ignoring him but he just barks louder and more high pitched (not ideal at 6am!) we have also tried the command 'quiet' and 'shush' with praise when he is quiet but he immediately dies it afterwards.

He has also started eating his dinner quickly and trying to steal Jack's, which i trained them not to do from the start.

Could he be hungry? Or is he just being a lab lol?

He is putting on weight, and looks fine. We give them a bit less than the manufacturer recommendation (350g a day for recommended 400g) ,and they have some kibble for training and other treats, so i think they are getting enough.

Any advice gratefully accepted

Many thanks x

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Puppy barking for food

Do you have somewhere he could have a time out when he starts barking? Harley barked one day whilst waiting for food so I stopped what I was doing, moved everything out of reach and walked away for a few mins. When I went back she barked once, I put everything down, she went quiet and has barked since when waiting for food.
    From the sounds of it, and the photos you have posted on another thread I wouldn't say he's hungry......just being a lab ;)

3. Looby Lou

I've tried putting him in his crate and going to another room to eat and he just barks constantly. He is very good in his crate normally and i don't want to create a negative association with it. I could put him in the porch, it has a glass door so he could still see us and we could see him, and it is away from the neighbours so may be a better option as his crate is next to our adjoining wall.

I'll give that a try tomorrow morning, thank you

I didn't think he could really be hungry, and i don't want to get into overfeeding him out of sympathy after looking at those eyes that say 'feed me, i'm starving' lol

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would feed them separately - one could be fed in the crate. The competition for food is increaing the desperation imo.

When preparing food stop when he barks. Gypsy does a bit of this and she soon stops barking if I stop preparing!

You always need to be more determined than they are!!

When you are eating never, ever ever feed the dogs any of it. They will soon learn that it doesn't concern them. Turn away and ignore. It may be hard but it's worth the eventual peace when they get the message (this could take a week or two).

:)

5. Looby Lou

Thanks for that. We had been considering feeding them separately, so i will try feeding Him in the crate to see if that helps. The problem with preparing the food is he doesn't bark when i weigh it out or put the water on, but after a few mins - i think he just can't wait once he smells it bless him.

Jack used to jump up at whoever was making it, but i stopped that by never turning my back on him, and he wouldn't do it if i could see him. Now he just waits patiently, even when Barney yaps