puppy barking

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Marjan, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Marjan

Marjan Registered Users

Goodevening, my name is Marjan and I live in the Netherlands. I am new to this forum and may be this question has been asked but I cannot find it. I am the proud mom of an 11 weeks old yellow labrador boy named Bram. He is wonderful, adorable, sweet and very clever. And, of course, a little monster too. I can deal with the biting (by just leaving the room for a minute) but yesterday my little boy found that he can bark. And he is very good at it :). Does anybody have the golden tip how to keep this habit under control? Thank you very much!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome to the forum :) Bram sounds adorable.

Labradors differ in how vocal they are. Some rarely bark. Some are always moaning, grumbling, whining, squeaking, making whale song or barking. I have the second, very chatty kind

A good thing to do is to act the same as you are with the biting - if there is barking, leave the room. When he's not barking give praise and treats. Practise siting quietly with him and when he lies down quietly (this may not happen of course!) then reward this with attention, treats and games. Basically, he has to be quiet for good things to happen. If you are consistent he will get the idea. If he's barking at something then try to distract him (with a toy or treat or very excited voice) and reward him when he stops the barking.

I'm sure others will have ideas too :)