Puppy being too rough while playing with other puppies?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by India, Jun 6, 2016.

1. India

India Registered Users

Hi,

I have a 14 week old Labrador who we are taking to puppy classes.

At the class last week our pup was playing with the other puppies and he kept on jumping on top of them and biting.

The trainer told me that he is being far too dominant and we should consider getting him neutered at 6 months to stop his aggression getting any worse.

I am now worried that he's going to become an aggresive dog but I do think he's just being to playful and dosnt mean anything by it.

Is this normal play behaviour from puppies?

And at what point does play time become to rough and you need to step in?

Thank you

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi India,

Don't worry, this is nothing to do with dominance :) Your puppy just hasn't learned appropriate social skills for his play yet. It's very normal Labrador behaviour, so please don't worry!

It sounds like your trainer is not up to date on the latest research regarding dominance in dogs. It has thankfully been thoroughly disproven. You can find out more here:
    The Demise Of Dominance Theory

Here is an article on helping puppies learn not to accidentally bully their friends:
    Is Your Pushy Lab Over Friendly

Welcome to the forum!

Lucy

MaccieD likes this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

In addition to the above, at his age testosterone is not really flowing in him yet so the behaviour is not sexually dimorphic and neutering will not likely make any difference at all.

Oban was the very same way but he was good with older dogs, so I made play dates with a couple of neighbour dogs. Now he is very good with small dogs and puppies, except he is still a clumsy big galoot so I have to watch he doesn't hurt a small or young one by mistake. :)

Yes, remove him when he gets too rough. We also had play dates with a puppy who was 2 weeks older and much bigger and heavier but still Oban was rough with him and the other puppy would not rough house back. We separated them lots, they played happily till it got rough again, we separate for only seconds. We did not stand and watch, we were on walking play dates.

You should also read up on the health, social and behavioural risks and benefits of neutering too early.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Jumping on each other and biting is 100% normal dog play. Look at these two lol!

5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh Mags, they are just like my Fred and Annie :D They do make me laugh

6. Boogie

I think play dates are a great idea, that way you are in control and they can learn doggy language from each other. When I take the pups on free runs they are taught that (most of the time) other dogs are not to be played with, just a sensible 'hello' sniff.

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Geez, @Boogie not one flower pot was knocked over. They look breakable too. Have to say, that makes it look like tame play to me. ;)

8. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Theories on dog behavior have changed and will continue to do so but an aggressive dog is a potential problem. But for a 14 weeks old? Too early to make that conclusion. And the recommendation to neuter at 6 months is no guarantee. A friend neutered their 1 year hyperactive American lab in the hopes of calming him down. No change. He's still a wild child. Of course, one local example isn't representative of the entire population but I don't believe slicing the sack will necessarily cure the "problem".

9. India

India Registered Users

Thank you for all the replies it's been so helpful and I feel a lot better about it now.

10. Boogie

Haha!

All play would be stopped (by me!) if any flower pots were touched. But they never do, Twiglet and Tatze were just the same :)

11. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

When Tilly was in puppy class at about 3 months, she and a Boxer used to go at it "Hammer and Tongs" for a few minutes at the start of each class. They were both having fun. Tilly has never been a very assertive dog, but she liked to play hard when she was a pup. Cooper is much more assertive. She also plays hard, but I think she would defend herself if attacked.