Puppy biteing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RDelmwood, Jul 9, 2016.

1. RDelmwood

RDelmwood Registered Users

Im pretty new to the forum. Our pup is now 10 weeks old. Having a big problem with biting. She bites my wife like crazy and hard. Not sure how to handle it. Not so bad with me but she gets crazy with my wife. What is causing this and what do we do?

2. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel was the exact same with me and my husband. I had bruises and still have scars. Where as my husband didn't have any marks. Sigh. Axel is now 6 months and we don't have this problem anymore.

Basically time is what improves this, I think anyways. Axel stopped at 14 weeks. Which is the exact same week we started puppy classes. So many a combination of both? After the first class I was doing lots of mini training sessions with Axel. when he would start to get "wild" And I noticed he was heading into a frenzy I would redirect with lots of treats and training. And he would not escalate.

Hope that helps! Everyone on here is amazing and will be able to offer lots of advice I'm sure :)

I do wish I enjoyed his cute little phase more instead of being frustrated the whole time. So just be rest assured, this will pass!

3. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi I found this article very helpful and enlightening....

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies-biting/

Just remember you and your wife are not alone, we are all going through it/have been there and have the scars, keep constant and try and remember they are "playing". It doesn't hurt any less or bleed any less and sometimes you just need five minutes to recover, but it does get better.

I seem to spend quite a bit of my day with my back to my pup, arms folded pretending to be a tree - oh an initially when I started this Bailey still jumped at my back and bit my butt! That only lasted a couple of days and I still thank goodness I was wearing jeans!

Good luck x

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Remember that the pup is playing.

Get your wife to have plenty of chews and small toys on her person to put in the pup's mouth. Get her o be very calm around the pup and not to try to pet him. Get her to have a calm voice, excited squeaky voices get the pup excited. A lot of people want to pat and stroke pups when the pup is at its most excited and wants to play - in the absence of play mates hands will do! The time for stroking and cuddling is when the pup is tired and ready for a sleep.

My pup is in full on crocapup mode now, I do 4 things -

Have toys and chews ready for putting in her mouth.

Pick her up and put a chew in her mouth if she starts on my feet/jeans.

If I'm relaxing I put my feet on the table out of the way - see photo lol!

All play stops if she sinks her teeth into me.

image.jpg

Samantha Jones likes this.
  5. RDelmwood

Thanks. This will help as we go thru this phase. Violets play area is actually our living room. When my wife comes in she gets very excited and starts to immediately biting. What should be the action? Crate her until she calms down? The words "no bite" have no meaning to Violet. Thanks in advance.

6. Boogie

Look at my steps, above :)

7. RDelmwood

I guess I was asking if all the above fail to get the correct behavior.

8. Boogie

You never do get the correct behaviour - just keep repeating the steps I gave you. They grow out of it around 6 months old when their big teeth are all in. Kara is my 4th pup in 3 years and they have all been extreme crocapups, you can't train it out of them but you can take steps to not get bitten :)

The thing is to be gentle and consistent.

Some say a 'Yelp' when the pup sinks its teeth in works. It does, in a way, as it surprises the pup and interrupts the behaviour - but you still have to give him an alternative thing to bite immediately he stops, or he'll be in for another mouthful like a shot lol!

Of course, folks with smaller breeds don't have this issue. They can let the pups mouth and their skin remains intact! My friend breeds miniature schnauzers. When she first visited puppy Tatze I said 'don't let her mouth you'. She said 'oh, I'm used to puppies ............ OUCH!!' Tatze had drawn blood on first contact.

It really is simply a question of keeping the pup's teeth away from your skin without spoiling your bond with the pup by being harsh or refusing to play.

Things get better and easier, I promise :D

9. Boogie

Attached Files:

10. RDelmwood

Thanks for all the responses. It helps to hear it's not us thinking we are doing something wrong. Keeping to toys away makes a lot of sense. She is starting to ignore the ones she went crazy over when first introduced.

11. RDelmwood

Current update. Had 12 week checkup and shots. She put on 11 pounds. Violet is now 27 pounds. A little moose.

Boogie likes this.