Puppy biting and violating blankets!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Newlabpup, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Newlabpup

Newlabpup Registered Users

Let me first start that saying Otis (16 weeks) is almost out of the croco pup stage, the end is truly near! He's learning so much and overall I feel like he's moving right along!

One place he has NOT progressed is his total lack of self control the second a blanket comes into sight. He immediately starts biting and pulling at it and eventually starts humping it like a maniac. Please, someone tell me that this is a phase that will pass! A couple of times he's even growled when we try to take the blanket away... I'm thinking he's playing when he does it almost like a tug sort of situation.. But still not a habit I want to continue. We always trade with treats when we take things away but blankets are high value to him. He loves to relax with us on the couch, and I like to relax with a small blanket! Also, I must add that when he's really tired and wants to cuddle he'll actually lay on the blanket which he enjoys.

So, a phase I hope?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would say probably not a phase, sadly... If you want to bring this to an end you're going to have to keep stopping it and taking the blanket away. You've got the right approach.

We have a cushion that regularly suffers the same fate.... The cushion humping hasn't generalised to anything else (apart from the occasional female Labrador) but neither has it diminished with age. We're not super consistent about stopping the humping as it's not too bad really. You'll probably have more success than us, long-term, if you're persistent and consistent in stopping it.

Try a proactive approach that involves glimpses of the blanket and rewards for ignoring it. Worth a go maybe :)

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think you have to be careful about hoping things are just phases and that they'll come out the other side. The big problem with any behaviour is that it can end up becoming habit if done often enough, and especially if it is rewarding. I think Rachael's suggestion of a program of desensitisation is a good one. rewards for ignoring the blanket at a distance, and gradually decrease that distance. Eventually bring in extra levels of difficulty, such as it moving. Set him up for success so that he doesn't end up in that excited state, but if something happens too fast and he does that, just calmly take it away from him. Scatter some treats on the floor to distract him if you have to.

I wonder, does he get that excited if he just "comes across" a blanket lying on the sofa, or is it the action of it moving that is stimulating him? If he were to stop playing with it as soon as you dropped it and ignored him, that could be another tactic to employ, but it depends on his behaviour to a "passive" blanket.

4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Can I ask something please, why don't you just take the blanket away and put it away for a while.

5. snowbunny

I'd say because we should be able to do the simple things we enjoy, even though we have dogs. It's also a great opportunity to teach Otis self control and restraint. Simply hiding the blanket is losing out on that opportunity.

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

OK Fiona, its just when Fred took a liking to one of our cushion, I took it away for a couple of weeks, then put it back and he didn't bother with it again.

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I agree humping likely is not a phase they will grow out of. As you observe it seems to be play and some, male, female, intact or not, will do it for years till maybe arthritis prevents it. My solution was to buy a big Teddy Bear (Poppa Bear) and encourage my pup on it. Poppa is washable and can be hidden when guests come over. My boy is 8 years old now, intact, and he has never, ever humped anything but Poppa. Not other dogs, people legs or furniture.

Maybe we were just lucky so no guarantees but directing pup to an appropriate object IS a method of eliminating this behaviour, if that's what you want. Direct him/her to the object, then fade it. I don't care if he humps Poppa and he seems to greatly enjoy doing so after a good walk and after his supper.

REmoving the object cold turkey might work too, might be worth a try. And then reintroduce it. I do agree you should be able to enjoy your house with training to not assault your things. But I bet you puppy proofed and put some things away till he learned not to chew them, same thing here, I think.

8. Newlabpup

Newlabpup Registered Users

I know that he likely won't grow out of humping things, but I guess I meant his current obsession with blankets. He doesn't just hump them he grabs them, pulls, bites etc. To answer some questions, it doesn't matter if they're stationary or I'm carrying them somewhere. The reason I was asking if he would grow out of the blanket obsession is because he HAS grown out of attacking flowing pant legs, towels, etc. for the most part. I'm going to have to really work with him on this I guess on a more consistent basis. What about the growling, is it playing? Sometimes his tail is wagging when he does it, sometimes not. Should I be concerned?

9. snowbunny

No, nothing to be concerned about. Many dogs growl when they're playing tug and other games. It's just play :)

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My dog growls all the time in play. But his ears and tail and body are relaxed and his mouth is closed with teeth covered. Just a 'play growl' :)

11. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I've been working on Dexter to distract him from humping his teddy. Whilst on holiday the last two weeks, my sister and her husband stayed at our house to look after him and although they tried distracting he got carried away one evening and his pecker got stuck out. He was crying in pain and they were trying to get him calmed down whilst finding the vets number as it was going on for 20 minutes. Just as my sister dialled, all calmed down. The teddy was taken away and so was his small Kong teddy that he's never humped. Stupidly today, I gave him his little Kong teddy as he will just chew it or play fetch with it. Tonight though he started to hump it and I took it away but it was too late. Luckily he wasn't whining or yelping until 10 minutes but by this time, I'd contacted a vet nurse that I know but all went back as she was giving me advise. I did put a cold wet flannel on him after as he was a bit sensitive. I'm getting in touch with my vet in the morning to get him checked over or advice in case it's phiomosis (probably spelt it wrong, tight foreskin) or maybe an infection but definitely no teddies or anything else he puts his mind to, to hump. The joys, he's not 5 months old for another week or two. Really hoping I don't have to have him neutered so young, maybe he needs a little snip or maybe it's nothing but it's definitely got me worrying a bit.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor Dexter. Hope its more easily managed in dogs than it is in their human counterparts.
    x

13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I love my dogs play growls so different from the real thing.
    Rory would tug on towels etc but is getting better with training patience and age. If he reacts now he is told to leave it which he does now. He has also realised that a lovely rub down all over with a towel is much more fun that pulling it and he only gets this lovely massage if he lies still.
    I don't think he's very humped anything really expect Poppy his girl friend and only done that twice as he ws told no and had to go on his lead until he calmed down. If he looks like he is going to hump something I distracted him. He's only ever seemed to be in the mood when he was over tired or too excited.
    Doug who is neutered is worse and is a bit crafty with girl dogs, he's very gentle but sneaky. Its the ladies all the way for him never humped household furnishings or plush toys. Obviously he's still interested but he can't manage it now at 14. Him being such a sweet dog it just took a "no or leave it" and he would.
    Rory did try to mount Midge once in the house, Doug was furious and Midge was too, All it took was one angry look from Doug and he never did it again. Midge just bit him hard :eek: and would not speak to him for hours. We had some sulky labs for a few hours