Puppy biting bad! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Ames1122, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Ames1122

Ames1122 Registered Users

I've only had my 14 week old puppy for a week and a half.. my arms are all cut up and he's been leaping at my face and biting.. any form of discipline that is suggested on here just makes him more hyper and he leaps and bites at my face..

This Morning he caught me off guard and leaped at my face.. He cut the side of my nostril pretty bad and I was bleeding..

I'm at my witts end.. my last labrador was never like this..
    I don't know what to do..
    Nothing is working..

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Ames1122 likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

By the way, yes, my puppy also cut up my hands and arms, left teeth marks in my legs and split open my nose. It's all part of the Lab puppy experience. Mostly, they grow out of it in time. It's boring while it lasts, but if you present a consistent method of teaching them how hard is too hard, then you will help them along their way. There's no instant cure, though. It's just what most puppies do until they grow their adult teeth.

Ames1122 likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I know they are crazy crocodiles at this age - All mine have been!

Take heart, they quickly grow out of it, meanwhile you need to manage them and build your bond with them, which will be essential once they begin to grow more independent.

Here are some articles with the best advice - more importantly, it WORKS! The important thing to remember is that repetition is needed - lots and lots of repetition over many weeks.

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies-biting/

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/how-to-cope-with-an-overexcited-labrador-puppy/

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/how-to-play-safely-with-a-labrador/

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-training/

Ames1122 likes this.
  5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Simply do not give him the opportunity to get that close to your face in the first place. He will learn not to do this but risking your arms and legs is relatively safe compared to letting your face get close to him. Kiss him on the head when he's asleep and you won't get bitten on your face. :) You were kissing him, right? ;)

Ames1122 likes this.
  6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Molly was a horribly bitey puppy -I mean like yours she drew blood regularly -and it is upsetting. I remember thinking back to my beautiful old boy who I'd lost the previous year and longing to have him back.
    But it honestly won't last. I love Molly to bits now -she's grown into a gentle, loving companion.
    While you wait for your puppy to grow up, wear old clothes, long sleeves and trousers. Have a toy or chew always to hand to shove in the pup's mouth and as soon as you can get out and about to show him the world and give him other things to explore.
    Chin up!

Ames1122 likes this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi, I had this problem with my Cassie, who is now 12 months, I remember when she was 5 months posting a thread on here to say that she had let me have a cup of tea in peace for the first time when she wasn't in her crate.
    But you know what -- it's all long gone now and it's only when I read posts like yours that I remember that it happened. Yes she still has her feisty moments but she too is now a wonderful companion.
    Follow advice others have given and you will find your way through it, ways to build the bond are important I think. I will say that the yelping didn't work for me, made it worse I think.
    Just the other day I found a jumper that is covered in holes, like moths had been at it, then I remembered that I wore it non stop when Cassie was small and it was her that had done that :)
    Yes -- chin up!

Ames1122 likes this.
  8. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi don't give up hope - be consistent in whatever method you choose to teach bite inhibition. Bailey was a real crocopup and like others on here I still bear the scars of his early life! I stuck to one method from the start, never yelping or shouting as my OH did this and it did seem to excite Bailey. Now at 14 months old if Bailey is getting a bit rough when playing a simple "no teeth" command turns into licks. Keep going it will pass

9. Ames1122

Ames1122 Registered Users

I'm trying with the suggestions I am reading from you all and I thank you for your feedback. He seems to get more hyper and like the challenge or trying to correct him..
    He is now going for walks and that is good however he is leap biting at my face and potty training has been horriblr. I am keeping the faith

10. Oligunner

Oligunner Registered Users

Im in same boat.

My girl is 9 weeks old and shes like a crocodile already at my feet arms and whatever clothing she can get hold of.

Im trying to keep a tough rope close by always to give to her when she starts.

Seems to be working i think as she chews it a bit then goes to sleep even though she had my nipple earlier (that hurt badly).

Im also having issues potty training im thinking its because i live in a 3 story house and need to go downstairs to go out then my garden is on 3 levels and only bit of grass is at bottom so she needs carried like 3 sets of stairs/steps

If i put her out the door she tends to just look about a bit then decides she wants back indoors.

11. aslowrie

aslowrie Registered Users

Ames, I'm right there with you with Snuffles (13 weeks), she's one hell of a biter. I call her my little hell hound when she's in that mood. There are days where I question if she's biting less hard or if I'm just getting used to it ;-).

For me reading the "puppy problems will things ever improve" thred he's been my way of keeping hope alive when she's in those moods.

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So what are you doing exactly when he gets too bitey?

Most people have most success with detaching the puppy and leaving the room briefly (eg stepping over a baby gate) and also distracting your pup with a toy to bite instead. Reacting with noise or agitated movement can be seen as you joining in the game and it can make puppies even more excited. Yelping does work for some pups but definitely not all or most.

If you notice that there are times of day when he's predictably more bitey then before that time of day do a 5 min training session with him to wear out his brain. That often helps.

Dalliance likes this.