Puppy biting everything

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by mom2labs, Jun 4, 2018.

1. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

I have been reading all the posts about puppies biting which our puppy does a lot and boy does it hurt. Anyways what about the puppy biting your clothes, or grabbing everything else to chew on except their toys/ We redirect constantly, praise him when he's chewing on what he's suppose to but a lot of the time it doesn't matter he still just wants everything else, and most of the time as we are trying to redirect him to a toy he will just lunge towards us or start biting our clothes or us. Do you do time out the same way you would for him biting you in that case? Also his bites are hard, I want him to know how hard is too hard but when I let him gently bite down it gets so hard quickly and nothing works to get him to stop. We've tried yelping, saying ow, saying no bite, and it always makes it worse. thanks

2. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

Have your pockets full of chew toys and have them around you when you sit down as well. As soon as he tries to bite you put a chew toy in his mouth. As for clothes wear your toughest jeans and shoes and make sure your family does too. It takes time and patience but he will grow out of it.

3. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

Let out a yelp if he bites too hard (seriously try it!).

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

If I yelped with my pup he would get more excited and attack more. It doesn't always work as you would imagine. I just redirect and walk away it works better. The yelp only works for a short time if at all.

5. Leanne82

Leanne82 Registered Users

Yeah Maslow loves the yelp! It sends him into a frenzy!

selina27 and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

You end up frightening a sensitive puppy or spuring on a bold one. It's old outdate advice I'm afraid and not something I use with my dogs. It's sounds like an exciting to some.

7. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think with the ‘redirect to a toy’ strategy, that it can help if you hold on to the other end of the toy while your pup chews, rather than sending them to chew on a toy nearby - I think they want to engage with you and just don’t know how. It will pass - Molly was shocking (I was bleeding every day) but she’s a lovely gentle girl now.

8. SwampDonkey

Rory was terrible bitey hell beast for months. The other 2 were fine. Midge was the best despite being a terror she was a very gentle dog with her teeth. Doug nibbled a tiny bit but soon stopped.

Maxx's Mum likes this.
  9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Yelping didn’t work for me, instead I would give her a toy and if that didn’t work I would stand up, stay still and not even look at her for a few seconds. When I got back on the floor I did it calmly and with no fuss. After about 5-10 times of doing this she realised that I wouldn’t play if she hurt.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  10. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

Yelping doesn't work, it makes him come back worse. Giving him a toy some times works but other times it doesn't. He has about 3 times a day where he is just crazy and NOTHING works.

11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh yes, this. The whole idea is that the pup interacts with you in a way that is safe for your skin.

Have a toy in every pocket as you walk in the room. Put the toy in the pups’s mouth but hold the toy at the same time - if the pup gets bored with that toy bring out another one. You need to be more determined than the pup that they will have the toy in their mouth not your skin or clothes - and that is VERY determined!

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That’s very normal and that’s the time to pop him in his crate with a filled Kong.

:)