Puppy Biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Flynn, Mar 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

Anyone got any tips on how to teach a Welsh Springer puppy (10 weeks) to not launch himself on your arms and legs and clothes?
    I know it is normal puppy behaviour. He has not had rough or excited play and distracting him with a toy will work for 2 seconds or not at all. He loves growling and jumping up to grab your arm or leg and it hurts! All we do now is pop him in his crate for a bit to calm him down but we're having to do this umpteen times a day.....
    If he just grabs clothes I try to just stand still and look away. He will eventually stop as I am being boring. But when he is hanging on my skin I can’t do this as it hurts! He draws blood sometimes. Does anyone have any tips as its exhausting....
    (I had an English Springer before so I know all about them being crazy, don’t mind that!)

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It will pass and all go away. :) Try wearing wellies, gloves and long sleeves.

You don't need to stand there if the puppy is hurting you, obviously. Disengage puppy from skin, and leave the room (if that's possible). I think the human leaving is better than putting the puppy in his crate.

3. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

thank you. I will try that (leave the room) providing he is in a room he can be left alone in.... Good to know he will grow out of this!! It is usually a sign he’s tired and ready for a nap so we know some relief will come soon....

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Try to clear up the rooms so they are puppy safe. The problem with 'time outs' in a crate is that if you've trained your dog to enjoy going in his crate, popping him in the crate is just a happy experience for him - which is lovely, and gives you a break, but does nothing to deter biting. Dragging the dog to the crate (which I am quite sure you are not doing of course) is a punishment for the dog and probably ends up with the puppy hating the crate.

So, if you really need to get the message across about biting, best thing is for the thing the puppy was playing with (the human) when he crunched a bit too hard just disappears for a few seconds. It doesn't have to be for long, you are not trying to scare the puppy, just let him know fun things go away when he bites too hard.

5. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

exactly! I was think I was ‘undoing’ the good work of him liking his crate! I’ll try and remove myself - or else, if I can’t, perhaps put him in the kitchen for a minute. One day I won’t look like I’ve been in the wars... ;)

drjs@5 likes this.
  6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Long sleeves will be your friend for public showings ;)
    He is terribly cute.
    Can't improve much on Julie's good advice.
    If he is getting to the "pre-bitey" stage and you recognise it you could always try a swap for a toy, or frozen Kong, or wetted frozen old teatowel, before he gets to the sinking his teeth in your limbs stage. And encourage him to stay using that on a mat or bed?

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

You've had some great advice already.

Some of us have found our puppies turned into complete horrors at a certain time of day. For mine, it was 6pm, regular as clockwork. So, I would take her for a carry around the village at that time, to see the sights and sounds. It wore her little mind out and I could pop her in her crate for a snooze afterwards.

8. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

Thanks drjs@5 ! I will try but it seems my arms and legs are much more attractive than his toys... Although I tried peanut butter in his kong today and he seemed to love that.....

Thank you Snowbunny. That is a good thought - I will try and keep an eye on the clock. So far I figure his routine is sleeping - playing nicely - playing violently - sleeping etc. Going nuts usually means he is tired and he’ll sleep soon.

drjs@5 likes this.