Puppy Biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Brody the Chocolate Lab, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Brody the Chocolate Lab

Brody the Chocolate Lab Registered Users

Hi, I have a 9 week old chocolate lab and like all puppies he's biting everything like crazy, myself included! He has plenty of chew toys and I try to encourage him to bite on these but he continuously bites me and very hard at times! Has anyone any tips to try and curb his biting habits? Thanks!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

3. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Welcome to the world of lab puppies! As @Boogie says you have to be more determined than he is! Either that or live in a suit of armour for the next couple of months!

Whatever method you decide on, stick to it...repeat and repeat and repeat again. Don't try one thing for a few days and then swap. Consistency and determination are the keys.

Good luck

4. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

I have a question about biting too, Aspen will be 3 months this coming Monday and his biting is getting even worse, now he is drawing blood. I feel like when we play he lunges for my hands on purpose! I try to redirect him back to his toys he's actually supposed to chew on then...is this lunging and whatnot normal? I know most pups grow out of the biting play so I'm not too concerned. I can't even imagine what it will be like when he begins teething :eek:

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, he does lunge for your hands on purpose. This is how puppies play with each other, it's all bite bite bitey bite. They gradually learn that this way of playing in not for humans.

It takes time and patience - lots of it.

:)

6. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

As @Boogie says this is perfectly normal - watch two dogs play together - biting every part of each other they can reach, particularly faces - the difference is other dogs are protected by their fur and we humans are not - that's why we bleed yet they are rougher playmates with other dogs with no blood left on each other. Bite inhibition was a priority with me when Bailey was young - still got self-harm scars from his crocopup days though!