Puppy blues, older resident dog who hates me, and the puppy.....HELP

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by kmlny, Feb 20, 2019.

1. kmlny

kmlny Registered Users

It has been posted three million times before....I know. But I need some HELP from you all.
    This completely overwhelmed feeling of not doing anything right, my world completely uprooted as I knew it. All from an adorable chocolate lab pup....who is just being a puppy.

My life as I know it was great. A 12-year-old terrier mix who is my world, Sophie, content to sit or walk or just go with the flow. We had a great routine.
    So, this genius, (that is me) decided she wanted a second dog. A running partner down the road...etc.
    One thing that kept me for adopting - Soph is not a huge on other dogs. She is snippy when she first meets them and wasn't socialized well at the shelter I adopted her from at 9 months. Once she gets to know a dog - she just basically goes about her business will sniff occasionally, but coexists okay with my boyfriend's dog when they are together.
    But, I wanted a friend for Sophie in hopes that it might extend her life and be a companion.
    Selfishly, I am also preparing for the day my sweet girl is no longer with me.
    So, I thought possibly a puppy might be better to introduce than an adult dog.

Intro - Teddy at 14 weeks. (this was in January)
    Sophie snaps at him. Wants nothing to do with him. I'm trying to train him and deal with her hating me basically for bringing this "brown thing" into "her house". Plus the total change in my routine and schedule.
    Not to mention Teddy having separation anxiety.
    Now, I don't know what I was expecting with bringing him home. I have had dogs before obviously - but it was not this.
    Panic attacks and worrying. Worrying about Sophie and Teddy not getting along. Teddy not allowing me out of his sight and howling in the crate. Sophie stressed out from the howling and change. Me not being able to do any of the normal things I would do. I couldn't even get on the treadmill to go for a run without him screaming. Heartbreaking one, because I know HE is stressed, and two, not helping with my anxiety by not having my usual outlet.

I finally realized I was way over my head - bit off more than I could chew - and went with an in-home boarding trainer to work with Teddy.
    He was gone for basic skills, along with correcting the separation anxiety.

A couple weeks later Teddy is back, the trainer worked with both of us - we reintroduced Soph and Ted, and turns out Sophie was taking to resource guarding me.

So now, I'm home working with Ted, while Soph is with the trainer working on the behavioral issue.
    I feel like I lost an arm with her not around.
    And I'm still stressed dealing with the puppy.

I see a change in him. He is such a good boy. But I feel like when he tests me - I fail every time. That I'm going to make him revert back into old habits. That I'm not cut out for this - and Soph isn't even back in the picture.

Does this get better?
    Do the puppy blues stop?
    Does the worrying subside?
    Do the dogs get along eventually?
    I am so overwhelmed. And yes, I know I sound like a crazy person.

2. Hettie's Mum

Hettie's Mum Registered Users

Hi from a fellow crazy overwhelmed new puppy owner. Hettie arrived in December at 8 weeks and my seven year old standard wire haired dachshund instantly absolutely hated her, despite having happily lived alongside my elderly black lab who I lost last July, curling up to sleep in the same bed etc etc. Alfie constantly gurns when Hettie comes nearby and after the first week, I seriously thought she might have to go. But I've persevered, initially two separate crates which I gradually moved closer and closer and giving them both time out away from each other and exercising them separately and never leaving them alone lose together. Hettie just wants a playmate but she has now finally acknowledged that Alfie really is not interested and she pesters him much less so everyone has calmed down and as I type, they are both asleep in two beds next to each other. All I can suggest is to just persevere, give them both their own space/attention and gradually hopefully calm will be established. But as you will see from my post today, I constantly worry that I'm getting everything wrong - things that seem to go well at home one day, are completely off the radar another day and I feel as though I have an ever-growing monster at the end of the lead who absolutely hates me.

Things do move on though and I suddenly realised that Hettie now only very occasionally pees indoors, so progress is indeed being made. They are just still very young puppies who are excited about life.

Good luck. It will all turn out fine I'm sure. L

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

In dog training don't expect linear progression of improvements. It will be ups, downs, and plateaus. One needs to think about how to find a way for the dog to succeed. Success can be rewarded, which increases the likelihood of the desirable behaviour being repeated. And with dogs there is no hate.

4. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

We have a single dog household (my first) so I'm not in a position to comment on that BUT the puppy blues get so much better.

I used to cry all the time when we got Chewie. I felt like a failure every time he did something "wrong." They do learn and they do improve, but as Michael said it is not linear, and before long you will be enjoying your new friend. I would try to make sure you get some rest and some time to look after yourself too.

If you are a worrier (I am!) you will still worry about your dog, but it will lessen and become more manageable. You already have a dog, so you know what to expect to a degree. I think this will help a lot.

Also, I'm sure Sophie doesn't hate you! Dogs just don't think like that, which is why we love them.

Saffy/isla likes this.
  5. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I think you are facing lots of difficult issues. I think it's understandable that you're.feeling down. But you've doing the right thing. You have s trainer helping you. And it sounds as if some headway is being made.

Perhaps a bit of reading about multiple dog homes will help. Trish Harris has an e-book. It is called When Three's a Crowd. It covers resource guarding of owners. It doesn't cover separation anxiety.

Has the trainer explained to you how taking the older dog will resolve the resource guarding issue? It sounds like a very odd remedy. Or is it being done to give you some respite?