Puppy Blues?....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LakerCharlieWillowRaina, May 29, 2015.

1. LakerCharlieWillowRaina

LakerCharlieWillowRaina Registered Users

Hello, I am a young teen who has worked very hard to obtain my own dog. More specifically my own Labrador.... my family owns two already. Raina, is 9 1/2 weeks old and is completely my responsibility, somehow she has managed to not cry in her crate at night, or wake me up randomly. She goes to bed around 9:30 however, and we get up at around 5:45 because that is as long as she can last. Currently, I feel a little overwhelmed and have some Puppy Blues. I really want to do the best I can with her and prove to everybody who doubts me that I can do it, but how can I shake my own doubt shoved upon me by others? My pup is rather wonderful, nothing wrong with her and she's exceptional at many "normal" puppy behaviors... except for being a bit of a herbervoire:D How can I stop this also? Just looking for some advice, stories, support maybe! Thank you! S glad I found this wonderful community.

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a lovely puppy there! I'm sorry you are feeling a bit wobbly, but don't worry, it happens to most of us at one time or another. You have a great attitude of wanting to do your best, that will take you a long way. You will likely make a "mistake" along the way, and have a setback here or there, or get completely frustrated at one thing or another. That's all part and parcel of having a relationship with another living being, whether it be human or not! So try not to worry about not being up to the task. It sounds to me like you are responsible and the fact that you are here looking for support and help tells me you aren't afraid to ask for advice, which is a great attitude to have when you are dog training! This is a very welcoming community with lots of wonderful people who have lots of advice and support to give, so you have certainly come to the right place! Is there a reason why people are telling you that you can't do it? Try not to get down about what other people think, sometimes people like to think they are experts in things they haven't got a clue about, especially dog training (or child rearing, for that matter!).
    As for grass-eating (I assume that's what you mean about herbivore), I wouldn't worry about it too much. Young pups will explore the world through their mouths, just like toddlers. And grass is quite attractive to some dogs. But it's not going to harm them. This article from the main site might help:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-does-my-labrador-eat-grass/

We'd love to see a picture of your pup! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions, we are here to help!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum! I have two pups; Willow (black girl) and Shadow (very pale yellow boy) who are both nine and a half months old. I remember when we had Willow as a very little pup (only had her at first, Shadow came later) and I thought that the dogs on here that were nine months were ancient! :)

It's very difficult to work through other people's doubt, but it's a good life lesson - it happens all the time. The best thing to do is try to ignore them, not let the doubt creep into your subconscious. You're here, this is a great support base and no-one will be negative. Ask whatever questions you may have and someone will pop along to help. No question is too small or silly. Most of us have been there, some more recently than others, and some are currently going through the same things so can let you know you're not alone.

I remember feeling completely overwhelmed once Willow arrived, even though I had read up extensively before her arrival and thought I was prepared. I don't think anything can really prepare you for the upheaval to your life - and the lack of sleep in those first weeks. My mantra was just, "it will pass. It will pass!". Especially when the crocopup phase hit with a vengeance.

It sounds like she's doing very well overnighting. At that age, I was still having to get up far more frequently in the night for toilet breaks :)

As for the grass eating, my two have started this in earnest the last few weeks with all the fresh Spring grass, which is very sweet and tasty for them. It's nothing to worry about - they're just supplementing their diet a bit :)

Are you based in the UK, or elsewhere in the world? Tell us a bit more about your pup and, if you can, post a photo - or twenty!

I think you will do just fine with your pup. You're obviously a very intelligent young person - and very eloquent.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there and welcome to the forum. It's quite a big deal being responsible for a new pup isn't it. You're bound to feel a bit overwhelmed at times, but it will pass quicker than you think. :) Look forward to seeing your puppy pics!

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome from Poppy and me. Oh yes, I remember the 'OMG what have I done...' feeling when the puppy comes home.. But it passes, and you find yourself so in love with your little one, and simply cannot imagine life without her any more! Hang in there, and don't hesitate to pop on here with any questions or worries. Good luck!

6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think most people feel a bit overwhelmed at some point by caring for a young puppy - I felt like that with Molly and I'd had two previous puppies and an adult rescue across the years. It will start to get easier soon and Raina will sleep for longer in the mornings eventually too. It's great that you're taking responsibility for your pup and because of this I'm sure you'll develop a close relationship, but I'm also sure your family wouldn't mind giving you a bit of support now and then. Look forward to seeing a picture of Raina. :)

7. suze12

suze12 Registered Users

Hi there. Welcome to the forum. I can guarantee this is the place to be for friendly, helpful advice. I remember feeling overwhelmed by the responsibility of a new puppy. It is perfectly natural to have those "OMG what have I done" moments. It does it better though as they get more and more into a routine and you establish boundaries for them. Sounds like your pup is doing so well anyway though. Best of luck and hang in there.

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello there,welcome to the Forum,I'm really pleased you have found us....what you describe in your post is something most of us have encountered at some stage...and probably still do along the way,I think that's inevitable when younge responsibility for an animal.Do not fear ,there is such a wealth of experience on here if you are struggling with anything pop by to ask and help will come x

9. LakerCharlieWillowRaina

10. LakerCharlieWillowRaina

Her parents are winners in Confirmation rings, and Field Events.

11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

12. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello from Molly (20 months) and me.

The first few weeks with a puupy are overwhelming. Lack of sleep makes you feel low.

Do not let people undermine you, by looking for help and finding us you have already shown that you are mature and responsible.

Don't worry if you make the odd mistake, we all do.

Let you into a secret, I was 66 when I took on Molly as an 8 week old puppy. I spent many months thinking "what have I done? Have I ruined our retirement". It has been hard work, but I don't regret it.

13. Mylestogo

Mylestogo Registered Users

When I first got Myles, I thought I was so prepared. And I had had a lab puppy before so I really thought I was experienced and knew what I was getting into. Like you, I am the only one responsible for him. After the first couple of days I remember googling "puppy depression" to see if it was a thing and sure enough it's pretty common. Lack of sleep, loss of freedom, fear that they will never learn certain things can quickly leave you feeling overwhelmed. You don't know her, and she doesn't know you and it takes awhile to develop at bond. I had days of tears during those first few weeks. And for about 2 months I had at least 1 day a week where I thought I couldn't do it.

Fast forward and Myles is now 6 months and we have come so far in just this short time. I'm beginning to see glimpses of the dog he will become. And from having a labrador before, I know that it is the DOG that you fall in love with not the puppy, so it takes time and you will get there.

Keep at it, know that it's normal to feel overwhelmed, get on the floor face to face with your puppy daily (assuming she's not in crocopup phase). I had to remind myself to just set aside training for a second daily and just get on the floor and snuggle him. This really helped with the bond.

He is currently staring me down for a walk so off we go. Could not imagine life without him already.

Hang in there and know that it does get much easier! You will love her and she will know you as her caretaker and be your best little pal :)

14. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum. You have had lots of good advice already, but I would just reiterate the fact that there is no earthly reason why you cannot be responsible for rearing Raina from pup to wonderful, happy adult lab. Getting moral support and learning from others' experiences is not cheating; it's how we learn in life. If people doubt your ability or determination, then that is their problem - don't let it be yours.
    I'm guessing you will have a nice long summer break coming up soon (if you are in the northern hemisphere?), which will give you lots of time for training the basics and more. There are lots of helpful articles on the main site and also in the Happy Puppy Handbook which will set you on the right track.

15. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum. Never doubt that you can successfully raise Raina you're already proving that you are mature enough to have found the forum, introduced yourself and prepared to ask for help and advice. We all have days when we're convinced we're doing everything wrong but we share our despair, and our hopes, and gain lots of support and advice. I think Raina is a very lucky pup to have you as her new owner.

16. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi and a warm welcome from me and my two dogs . I think most of us have had those times , the times when we doubt our own abilities and wonder what we have done . Your pup sounds delightful , and as she grows , a bond will form and then she will become even more special :)

17. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

I'll chime in and agree with what everyone else has said thus far!

Glass half full - at least you got a Labrador and not a *cough* Spaniel *cough*!

Despite all the reading and research we did, puppy ownership still came as a massive shock to the system. We had occasions of tears and second thoughts!!

5 months on we look back and laugh. Sure it's still testing at times, but extremely rewarding, especially if you are prepared to ask, learn and get a super happy and trained doggy - which you obviously are or you wouldn't be asking or doubting yourself.

Have confidence and don't be ashamed to ask for advice or whatever. You'll look back and laugh like we do!

knees78 likes this.
  18. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Funny looking Labrador you have in that avatar, Jaymz....

.... almost looks like a *cough* Spaniel *cough*!

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome to you and Raina it's lovely to have you here. I am WAYYYYYY older than you and I always find that when people don't think I can do something I like to prove them wrong. I had two professional Gundog traingers tell me that our rescue dog Charlie would never be allowed off lead as he was an absconder. It took us 3 years to prove them wrong and he does go off lead every day.

You sound like you are doing a great job with Raina, you will like all of us learn as you go along, you will make mistakes of course you will, but we all do. So don't let anyone get you down and train your puppy to be your best friend and a good obedient girl. Lots of help and support on this forum whenever you need it. Keep posting. Helen xx :)

20. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just want to say hi and welcome :)

Sometimes people try to discourage us because they're actually uncertain and lack confidence in their own abilities. It's kind of about them trying to bring us down to a level they are comfortable with. It's more about them than about you.

Raina will be your companion for many years. You'll pass many milestones together. She'll be your special dog. Don't worry if right now it's kind of overwhelming at times - that's not an indication of how it'll be in the future :) Ad everyone has said, puppy blues and doubts are normal, but in time those dissipate and our confidence grows and grows :)