Puppy calorie intake

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by 66, Aug 8, 2018.

1. 66

66 Registered Users

I’d like to find out how many calories I should be feeding my female lab puppy each month till she’s full grown.

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :)

Calorie requirements vary from puppy to puppy. You'll find feeding charts and guidelines in this article: but how much your own puppy needs as she grows and develops will depend on whether she is destined to be a larger or smaller version of her breed, and on how well she converts her food.

To see just how much pups vary you might like our "How Much Does Your Puppy Weigh?" thread. How old is your puppy at the moment, and what are you currently feeding her?

3. 66

66 Registered Users

Puppy is almost 6 m. and weighs in the low 40s. She is meant to be a leader dog for the blind so being on the small side is an advantage. She eats Purina Pro Plan Sport about 3 cups. Planning on going to 2 1/2 cups. I did read several responses inHow Much Does Your Puppy Weigh.

4. 66

66 Registered Users

66 continues -
    Since I’m raising her the first year before she goes in for formal training as a leader dog I have to teach her several commands and often need to treat. I use meal kibble for treats but also need to use other “high value” treats for some training. That why I’m looking for calorie count rather than weight or amount of food. I don’t want her to over eat.

5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have you had a word with your vet about feeding your pup?