Puppy Clicker Training ...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Jan 17, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Hello

I just wondered how you were all getting on with puppy training and what you are teaching? Bella has learnt sit, lay, leave, here, get down, spin, high five and give paw. I've been working on the clicker retrieve too.

I feel I'm doing the same things over and over , Bella has even started doing various positions as soon as I get the clicker out before I've even asked her to do anything! Crafty ::) So I would like to introduce some new things for her to learn as well. Any ideas on what else I could teach her? ;D

2. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Re: Puppy Clicker Training ...

Izzy isnt quite as advanced im afraid. Ive been a bit lapse really. She sits fine, down is a bit iffy. Recall is ok, she loves been off lead and always stays fairly close. I didnt do clicker training, but have a whistle if i need it. Shes just had her mad half hour, her tea and now is snoozing

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She has learned lots :)

You could try:
    Stand
    Seek (sniff for hidden treats)
    Take something (toy) in mouth
    Give toy back
    Sit at kerbs (on lead)
    Touch a target with her nose
    Ring a bell

4. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I like the idea of seek/find it, I had a look on u tube but they didn't appear to use a clicker. Think problem I'll have is getting her to wait and stay until I hide it!! But def will try it. Maybe I need to extend the sit /stay a bit longer first!

When you say 'stand' do you mean from sit /lay?

;D

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The stand would be from a sit and a lay/drop/down, that's right. :)

Once that's mastered you can try sits, drops and stands on the move (ie while walking).

6. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

I do a lot of finding toys in house and hiding behind doors!

7. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Petrina link=topic=9543.msg137714#msg137714 date=1421571534]
    [/quote]

How did you begin to teach it, make puppy stay whilst you put toy / treat where they can see it, then gradually hide it and introduce a cue like 'find it'?

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Petrina link=topic=9543.msg137714#msg137714 date=1421571534]
    [/quote]

Did you teach the name of each toy first?

9. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

Sit sniff wait close door go hide toy then ask to find!
    I hide under towels, behind doors, put different toy next to!
    Knows cups because I put good in plastic cups at meal times, turn them over then say go find!
    Knows kong when empty ones about!
    We have also started take to...., name of family member!
    Started with food!
    Bailey 7 months loves this game, always do it at meal times in batches of food then you'd then toy then goid etc
    We also live hide and seek, well I do, particuatky when behind open door and I can see him searching!

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

She's getting there with stand and retrieve ball, find a toy next!!!! ;D

11. CDM

CDM Registered Users

She's able to retrieve a tennis ball and drop it in my hand now ( 80% in my hand, 20% floor) and also she will stand on request ( I use command up with a hand signal)

Are there any clicker training books / sites anyone would recommend? I love it and want to keep going ;D I keep checking u tube and follow the people recommended.

Tempted to get the clix bells but maybe she's a bit young? ::)

12. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

My Bella is working on sit pretty (balancing on her butt with her feet in the air like a meerkat) - weaving figure 8 between my legs - bow - spin - and roll over....soon we'll start working on speak and sneeze - my hubby's favorite tricks to teach. :)

13. buck

buck Registered Users

I have found the ClIX bells have really helped with housetraining. Amber is 15 weeks and when she needs to go outside during the day she goes and sits on the door mat in the utility room and sits and waits quietly. This is great if I notice her or wonder where she has gone but not good if I am in another part of the house. We have had the bells for about 4 weeks now and she will now happily ring them most times he wants to go out which I can hear from other rooms.

We have very few accidents now.

14. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=buck link=topic=9543.msg139031#msg139031 date=1422033842]
    I have found the ClIX bells have really helped with housetraining. Amber is 15 weeks and when she needs to go outside during the day she goes and sits on the door mat in the utility room and sits and waits quietly. This is great if I notice her or wonder where she has gone but not good if I am in another part of the house. We have had the bells for about 4 weeks now and she will now happily ring them most times he wants to go out which I can hear from other rooms.

We have very few accidents now.
    [/quote]

As my house is an upstairs downstairs it could be helpful in letting me know she needs to go down if they are in the living room near the stairs.... but on the other hand might be difficult for her to associate it with going to loo as it's not instant ( I have to carry her down stairs then she walks to the back door) hmmm.

Those sound like good tricks too sunset pines!