Puppy constantly on the go and looking for food...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by sunshineb75, Aug 26, 2017.

1. sunshineb75

sunshineb75 Registered Users

My Kalia is nearly always looking for something to eat or just looking for something. Also, she has such a hard time settling down. And when she does, it may be for 30 seconds and then she is up and looking for food or something again... I expected a high energy puppy, but my Kalia is constantly going and going and going. We take her for daily walks. Take her outside into our fenced yard and play fetch at least once a day, usually it's two to three times. We train for several minutes (usually until she loses interest) a couple times a day. Do you have any insight?

2. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Hi there,
    We have had exactly the same thing with Ziggy - he's now 15 weeks old. We found that in the evening he just wouldn't settle at all. He was in and out of the garden bringing in bits of wood, sticks and stones and just really restless. We found that if we put him in his puppy play pen with no toys or chews he would just fall asleep in a matter of minutes - he still does this. I think the restlessness was because he was getting over tired. The strange thing is, he can easily climb out of his puppy play pen now but he seems almost to be relieved when we put him in there so he just settles and falls asleep! Sometimes I open the door and leave him in there and sometimes I just lift the whole thing off him and put it away - leaving him asleep in the middle of the floor! Then - when bedtime comes - he heads out to the garden for his last pee and then takes himself off to his crate quite happily.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Agree with @Lozzz31 sometimes this overactivity is a sign of tiredness - just like toddlers!
    A bit of time out for a snooze can work wonders.