Puppy dandruff

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Annie, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Annie

Annie Registered Users

Anyone had this problem? Juno is 10weeks and has dandruff dry flakey skin just on her back near her tail. She has had it since we get her. The vet has checked it and wasn't concerned as skin is not red and said it was normal for puppies and would eventually grow out of it. I am not too bothered but someone made a comment when I was out with Juno and said "poor puppy has flees on her" I quickly turned round and said "actually she hasn't it's just dry skin and flees are brown anyway" the stupid woman quickly walked off!! I know I should ignore that comment but it really annoyed me. The dry skin doesn't seem to bother Juno, she isn't turning to bite it, but it obviously shows up on her as she is black. She's on a good quality diet natural/and some raw food and her coat is shiney so I don't think it's diet related. I've read people give their dogs fish oil supplements, but what type is safe for puppies?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Puppy dandruff

We put a squidge of salmon oil on each meal - Tatze's skin and fur are great :)

This is the stuff we use - http://tinyurl.com/nbnvs3r

[​IMG]

3. Annie

Annie Registered Users

Thanks I will have to give that a try! :)

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Penny had a little dandruff at about that age as she began shedding her puppy fur and growing big girl fur lol

Have you given her a bath at all? If not it might be worth it with some tea tree dog shampoo or something similar. It might just help to get some of the dead skin out.

Cod liver oil is also good for skin and coat, my mum just bought a bottle of it from the pharmacy and gives her dog a spoonful every day (and she's a tiny yorkie, she gets a teaspoon).

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - but I wouldn't overdo bathing, it can dry the skin out and strip the natural oils.

I never bath Tatze - she gets hosed down outside if she's muddy :)

6. karen reid

karen reid Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=6727.msg90886#msg90886 date=1403594619]
    We put a squidge of salmon oil on each meal - Tatze's skin and fur are great :)

This is the stuff we use - http://tinyurl.com/nbnvs3r

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Thanks for that, I've just ordered some from your link. Murphy's coat is lovely but I want to make sure it stays that way :)