Puppy dislike or fear of harness

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Briggsy, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Briggsy

Briggsy Registered Users

Hi, my Labrador is now 7 months old and has a fear of her harness, we had her fitted with one so it’s the correct size, it can either go over the head or not there are various options.
    We are working hard on loose lead training but she needs the harness on as she pulls lots if she sees other people or dogs so it’s there to protect her neck.
    I have been putting it near her and treating her for showing interest and doing this regularly but when we do go out for a walk I need to put it on her and she just stands still, Won’t take any treats until it’s on and when she is wearing it she refuses to sit.
    She is from a working gun dog background and none of the dogs wear collars or harnesses.
    I know I am probably not helping by making her wear it while she is still unsure but I can’t take her out walking without it.
    The other day she wouldn’t go near my husband and then we realised it was because the harness was hanging on his chair, once I moved that she was straight in for cuddles but I can’t think of anything that has happened to make her fear it.
    I would say she has been totally comfortable on lead and collar from day one but never the harness. Any advice or suggestion would be very welcome please. I have attempted to put food in her snuffle mat and then put the harness on but she can’t be fooled by that.

ChewyNev likes this.
  2. ChewyNev

ChewyNev Registered Users

My 6 month old has never liked the harness either. If we approach him with it, he scampers off. He is ok once it’s on, but hates having it put on or taken off. We put a treat through the head space as we put it on, which he begrudgingly accepts, but then he arches his back like a cat stretching when we clip it round his tummy! Then he shakes and is fine. Looking forward to any responses.

3. Karen Brown

Karen Brown Registered Users

We have this issue with our 7 month old and hers is properly fitted also. Unfortunately the only way I can get it on her is to hold a high value treat next to the harness and put it on her when she comes for the treat. She’s slowly getting better with it

4. Ivypup

Ivypup Registered Users

Why not just use a collar and lead? All a harness does is aid the dogs desire to pull forward. Don't put the dog in a position where it can lunge or pull towards dogs/people. Make yourself more interesting, look at dogs, etc from and distance and slowly build up. Practice heel work at home, in the house and garden before expecting your pup to deal with the exciting challenges outside.