Puppy doesn't want to walk

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mollly, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Molly is 5 months today. About 10 days ago she started stopping on our walks and not wanting to go on. I Googled it and learnt that my puppy has learnt fear. Is this correct?

What I have been doing. Continuing to walk her but taking her to places where she can meet other dogs and have a good sniff at trees, fence posts etc. I try to make the walks pleasant for her, we generally meander where she wants. The only "training" I am attempting is "sit" whilst joggers etc go past as I want to make the whole experience as laid back for her as I can. I lure her forward with kibble etc. Sometimes she seems to forget she has a problem and trots along happily. Other times she stops dead and has to be hauled along (only when absolutely essential halfway across the road etc). Prior to this she was pretty solid, trotting along ignoring quite heavy traffic.

Am I on the right lines?

Not wishing to moan, but we are currently under tremendous stress. A fortnight ago my 6 month pregnant daughter was, with no warning, flooded out of her home. So into our quiet pensioner and puppy household came daughter, husband, toddler, their goods and chattels that could be rescued and bucket loads of stress. Is this at the back of it.

I had thought to spend my Golden Years with my Golden Labrador trotting happily beside me, not crouched over luring the dog forward like a donkey and a carrot.

I call our speed KPH (Kibble Per Hundred)

So not lost my sense of humour then

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Puppy doesn't want to walk

Hi Tina,

The recent additions to your home may have an impact on Molly. From having a calm home, she probably is a bit miffed as to all the new noises, smells and company.
    Every time my daughter comes home from uni, Harley will only go for a walk if my daughter comes with us or if she is already out.
    Keep at it. I'm sure Molly will be back to enjoying her walks soon ;)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I hope your daughter's home is habitable again soon and that life gets back to normal quickly for you and your family.

Don't worry too much about Molly, just keep on doing what you are doing, taking her out for short walks and encouraging her to enjoy her surroundings. She will soon get over this stage, and will start to enjoy her walks more and more. :)

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear, so sorry you are having these problems with your family and Molly.
    Just hoping that things get sorted out for you sooner rather than later, and nice though it is to have family around you, I can imagine it being pretty stressful.
    Fingers crossed for you all.

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It is amazing how our dogs pick up on the turmoil around them. So it is possible that the upset in your house is causing this, but it could also be a bit of a phase. I would say you are doing fine, hopefully she will be trotting along beside you just fine in no time....however, I do have to say that my boy is 1.5 yrs and I have to deal with "concrete bum" at times on our walks, so it may be something that reoccurs in the future ::)

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Love "Concrete Bum"

I have always accepted that dogs like to have a stop and look around (and why not, pups should be curious). This was sudden and different. Sometimes she forgets and trots along merrily. Just keep doing what I'm doing.

Reassuring nobody has told me I'm doing it all wrong.