Puppy eating poop!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Alexandrea Nwakwubei, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Alexandrea Nwakwubei

Alexandrea Nwakwubei Registered Users

My lab is 3 months old we have always struggled with stopping her eating her own poop, we put that down to the mother cleaning up after her pups. Normally when we go out there’s nothing there for her to eat but today she ate some, definitely wasn’t her own! How Can I stop this behaviour? She’s currently in her crate as I don’t want her licking my 3 year old :puke:

We had such a good walk before then, she was fab with her recall, weren’t running off to far etc :(

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here is a good article - https://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-dogs-eat-poop-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

When Keir came to me he was already known for eating his own poo. I lure him away with a treat. At the beginning it was from right next to him, but now I watch him from a distance and call him away. He occasionally ‘thinks about it’ but we’ve had no actual incidents.

I go back and pick it up once he’s inside.

Vigilance and not allowing it to become a habit are key, I think.

Alexandrea Nwakwubei and Aitch like this.
  3. Alexandrea Nwakwubei

We had tried the watching her, give a treat, I gradually got to the back door and watching her and she was fine then I was at the kitchen window and she’d do her business look around and when she couldn’t clock me gobble it up! I think i’ll Have to stick to staying outside with her for abit longer x

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, Keir still needs to know I’m there - we are not at the stage of watching through the window yet (if ever!). This is the first poo eater I’ve had. I said to my friend ‘Keir is the most perfect pup ever, just one small problem is his poo eating’. She replied ‘you call that a SMALL problem??’ :p

:)

5. AJ

AJ Registered Users

Koda is 7 months old and we are still working on this a little bit. She never would eat her own poop but would try to inhale any other dog/bird and other unidentified poop. I would keep her on leash and not give her enough slack to reach the poop and practice leave it using a high reward treat.

She'll now walk by most poop maybe giving it a sniff but doesn't eat it anymore. But for whatever reason when we go to the local farm to see the animals she can't help herself and tries to eat cow/horse poop any chance she gets. I guess its tastier??

6. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Bailey used to eat fox poo as often and as much as he could and roll in it :puke: he also used to gobble up rabbit poo and lick bird poo on the ground - but he does seem to have outgrown it, although he will still snaffle a rabbit pellet or two if he can. We worked hard on leave it with a high value reward but it was not an overnight transformation. It was so gradual that actually until I thought about it I didn't realise that I had not had the disgusting odour of fox poo in the car before having to bath him! He has not yet encountered cow or horse poo....and remembering my old lab Suzi I am dreading it! She had a life long obsession with cow pats :puke:

7. Tracey D

Tracey D Registered Users

Lol what is it with Labs? I've always had Dobes and they never ate poop.
    Reuben never eats his own but he sure will gobble up duck, rabbit, cat & possum if I'm not watching. The other day my husband walked him through a field and he was trotting nicely beside him. He looked again and he had a dead ducking in his mouth. Ducking had died previously at some stage

8. Elizabeth Rodgers

Elizabeth Rodgers Registered Users

My pup used to do this. She is now 6 months old and it’s been 2-3 months since she’s eaten any poop. The vet suggested we changed her food (she was on a hollistic diet), so we did and she hasn’t done it since.

9. Steve 1963

Steve 1963 Registered Users

My vet said to put pineapple chunks in his food it makes the poo smell and the puppy will hopefully not eat it plus you need to go and move the poo asap I started this on Saturday last week still a work in progress

10. Alexandrea Nwakwubei

She’s currently on wainwrights she’s better now but was a lot worse when she was on the dr john puppy food. I will have to ask the vet about it when I go in next