Puppy food and Adult food and other thoughts and responses welcome.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tiffany, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany Registered Users

Hello; It has been awhile since I have been on. My mother recently passed away and Beebe has kept us busy with typical lab puppy behavior.

We just had her at the vet for her vaccines and check up. We have a clear on her UTI; but her vaginitis is still present. We are waiting for her to go into a heat cycle as her vulva in inverted and that is causing her sx to remain present. A heat cycle may form the vulva out. She also has an ear infection (yeast). Along with, we may run labs on her; her energy is so very high. She is a typical lab puppy. My first to ACT THIS WAY of the 3 labs I had. My 1st lab also had ear infections and itchy skin. We ended up finding she had a kidney disease (to late when it was found). ANY HOW... I hope Beebe is not heading in a "sick" lab as we endured before.

Our vet (who is great) recommended to 1/2 puppy large breed and 1/2 adult large breed food. ANd not now, but moving her to lamb vs chicken for the protein and/or carbohydrate intolerances if sx continue of ear type stuff. We want to watch her to see what her ears and system does. Not to change to much as not knowing what really is going on. She hopes this change of food will help her over high energy. We have her on Purina Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Puppy right now.

Beebe is worked for training at least 2 x a day for 15-30 mins. She is walked or exercised some how for a 1/2 - our hour pending her needs. She is played with well during the day.

She gets outside time; complete fenced yard to wonder on her own. Her own down time.

Her energy is changing her. She has a hard time settling down. Was ready for bed and told us at 11 pm and sleeping through night. Now,Hard to fall asleep and wakes up during the night now. Naps used to be an hour or longer. Now 15 mins, 1/2 hour if lucky. I KNOW labs are high energy. Again, my 3rd lab; but Beebe is more than I have experienced. She used to eat nicely, now she eats fast. I used to be able to put my hand in her food and play; she still ate slow. Now she gobbles her food fast when I do. Vet thinks, she is growing and requiring more calories. Even with 1/2 puppy 1/2 adult... we are going to increase portion amounts.

Yes, we have the digging. Her intense CRAVINGS of eating dirt have gone away since her UTI is gone. She does eat plants-grass-digs dirt...that is the norm of a lab and a dog.

She is training well. Sit, stay, wait, come, heel, shake, down, off, asks to come up before jumping on couch or bed. Understands shush and settle. Crate training going well. all and ETC....are super !!! At 4 1/2 months; even walking and with distractions she seems to want improve and gets it. Little leash pulling.

The settle works with crate training.

Thanks for the advice in advance,
    Tiffany

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Yeast infections in the ear seem to be common in some Labs. Tilly, our older lab has them quite often. We need to treat her hears with a cleaner every time she goes swimming and probably once a week besides. I understand that they are often related to food allergies, and are difficult to pin down.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It can also be an indicator of auto immune problems too

Tiffany likes this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hi there

I don't understand the advice to feed half puppy food and half adult food. This seems to me to be old fashioned advice. Good quality large breed puppy food - these days - is important because of balanced calcium and phosphorus. High protein food as a cause of behaviour problems is a myth (otherwise this would be a big problem for the many puppies fed raw). The best thing to do is make sure you are feeding a good quality large breed puppy food and continue feeding this until your dog is physically mature - over a year old at least (although it does depend on the brand you are feeding, and some adult foods are fine for large breed puppies).

Exercising a puppy more doesn't solve the problem of excess energy. Unless you exercise them to exhaustion, which certainly isn't a good thing to do with baby growing joints. Think more in terms of things to do rather than just exercise. If your puppy has done well with basic training, then it's time to make things harder - more advanced training. More problem solving exercises, novel experiences, early training in a sport you might take up later etc. And lots of time learning to settle and do nothing! :)

pippa@labforumHQ and Tiffany like this.
  5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Please do NOT put your hand in her food and bother her while she's eating. I know you will hear and read that's a way to condition her to be used to your presence at feeding time but there are other ways to accomplish that. Messing with her food like that can work, some think if it does the dog was amiably disposed in the first place and thus wouldn't need it. BUT it can dramatically, dangerously and distressingly backfire and actually create a food guarding problem. Please read at the link, a site devoted to safe dog/child interactions with international members. Adults can benefit too.

http://www.doggonesafe.com/

This one is by founding members of Doggone Safe and particularly addresses guarding issues. You see it is endorsed by the CAPPDT.

https://www.cappdt.ca/UserFiles/File/articles/resource guarding for parents.pdf

Tiffany likes this.
  6. Tiffany

Tiffany Registered Users

Hi Julie; I do and don't understand the thinking of the food. And that is why I am asking; because there is so much experience with everyone here. I will follow the vet advice for now; and see in a month if I see a change in energy/metabolism. It was because after she eats; it is beyond boundless energy. We are seeing a HUGE change in not sleeping; unable to stop. She goes and goes and goes. Like I said, her naps are once a day for 15-30 mins and then nothing. Trying to get to to fall asleep and stay asleep is changing. Even though this has nothing to do with feeding time; yet may be a metabolic ? need.

I love what you say about making things harder. We do not over exercise her; just make sure she has some form of exercise daily along with play and training. I change up her exercises, play and train. I was thinking the same thing on training. We are going out in public more. Along with some obstacle ideas. She is BIG into alerting us when my son has an episode (which are a neurogenic action; along with cardiac problems and syncope) I was chocking (wrong pipe) on my coffee...she was right in my face ! She has good instincts. Do you have an idea of a new/next training activities for her? We are working on hold, bringing an item to my son, tunneling, through a hula hoop and fetch with return. New DDD with the fetch to. Along with DDD in public with sit, stay, down, wait.

I am amazed at her NO DOWN TIME. No matter what we introduce. She just cant come down. WIRED !!!

Thanks,
    Tiff

7. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Could a behaviourist potentially help? Can dogs suffer from hyperactivity? A puppy who is awake basically all day until 11 pm sounds like a nightmare, I really feel for you. I follow my local animal shelter on Facebook and they once had a dog surrendered to them who was so high energy that they knew that he couldn't be rehomed into a traditional home - they contacted a company which trains drug detector dogs and he found his new purpose in life. Not saying that this is your only option, but if he doesn't have an off switch then maybe a normal home isn't the right fit for him?

8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

@Tiffany I'm so sorry, I missed that your Mum had recently passed on, my condolences on your loss.

See if any of our story might help you. Oban was the same, go, go, go. I literally have no baby puppy pictures of him because he was never still. Except when he was sleeping. He was out in the house with us as much as possible but penned in our gated kitchen when we were out, working and at night. At 5.5 months he'd been clean overnight for a month so I decided to let him stay out of the kitchen overnight.

The first night he settled down on the rug beside my side of the bed, never moved or made a peep all night. He was SO GOOD. No mischief. :)

Next day was when I noticed the really BIG change in behaviour. No wild running from room to room in the house as he always did before when released from the kitchen. He was quiet, calm, came into my office and lay down to watch me work. The only way I can think to describe this is, before, it's as if he charged throughout the whole house as if to see what might have changed overnight while he was incarcerated in the kitchen. Now he had full run of the house he didn't have to do that. Maybe the explanation? Who knows how puppy minds work, but whatever it was he literally changed overnight. Now, he was still a normal puppy and if he was out of sight and all was quiet I still would leap up to see what kind of trouble he might be getting into but the never ending hyper energy was really calmed down. He was still penned in the kitchen sometimes but never at night again.

9. Tiffany

Tiffany Registered Users

OH MY !! And to think; the breeder I choose is a very reputable breeder known for temperments and good dogs, calm. In fact many are used for Therapy Dogs in nursing homes and with kids--library and the local MRDD center. I can only hope things change. I am not one to give up. Having a severely disabled child with a wild lab is VERY MUCH my Stressing point. I will keep working on diet and change of trainings. I have noticed that the more she is interacted;the more she is like this. She is a good girl; just her brain is unsettled. IN fact; when she goes out 2:00 am; she looks "confused". Like I said before. Not my 1st lab, or my 1st dog. I have had many dogs in my 46 years. Our family is very dog oriented....at Christmas there are 5 dogs along with the entire family. Always has been. This little love; is "different" .

10. Tiffany

Tiffany Registered Users

Beebe is only crated for "settle times" and when we are feeding my son in his feeder chair. Beebe loves to sleep with us. She asks to come up and asks to get down. If I take my eyes off her; other than sleeping...she is into something....wood furniture, something-anything on the floor. I reassure with her toys. She is opening cupboard now and getting stuff out.. All doors are shut; now cupboard locks. We babygate her during Riley's feed times. I will take her in the bedroom with me when i get ready; as to have to keep an eye on her. SHe has free roam of a fenced yard that we had to fence up my gardens and clean up the neighbors fence that had ivy growing on it. She finds everything. Hard to be out with her everytime she goes outside. I have Riley to care for and watch. LIke I said before to others....not my 1st lab, not my 1st dog. We have had dogs everyday of my 46 years. LOL !!! She is 4 1/2 months. Yet, smart enough to get "in trouble" smart enough to be corrected and learn what not to do. She is a very smart girl; sleepy Beebe is lovey Beebe. She has a "confused" look with her at times as well. I am a nurse of 25 years. So, i know when something isn't right. Something isn't. Like I said, I have a severely disabled child. Having her needs and his is a stressor ! I am flexible and patient, smart to work things out. But i have a feeling something with Beebe. I will figure it out soon. THANKS FOR YOUR POST !! :)

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sorry about your Mum....

With Beebe, I wonder if it'd be worthwhile having her checked for her thyroid function or any other thing (eg nutritional deficiency) that might be causing her very high energy behaviour. Has the vet chatted to you about that?