Puppy food tummy troubles (lots of poo talk, sorry)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by eileen2664, Mar 28, 2018.

1. eileen2664

eileen2664 Registered Users

Remi came to us on Purina ProPlan food, he had loose poos right from the start so we went ahead with the transition to to Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Rice (we had intended to wait a few weeks then spend about a week transitioning, instead we only waited a few days before beginning the transition of about a week). He still had loose poos, called the vet Friday and they said to begin a rice/chicken diet and prescribed a probiotic. Yesterday morning he finally had a decent poo, he also had is 11 week vet check. Vet said to go ahead and transition him back to kibble.

Today I started adding about a 10 pieces of kibble to his rice/chicken. He had 2 decent poos this morning and now we're back to runny.

If this continues, what food should we try next? If the chicken/rice is fine then I would think that a chicken based food should be ok, right? Should we try grain-free? Raw isn't an option for us because of the kids and it's not something I want to do (unless it's the absolute last option).

2. Joe651

Joe651 Registered Users

My 7 month pup has had this same problem for the last 2 -3 months . The vet has checked 4 times for worms and always negative. Gus was on Blue Buffalo grain free puppy food from the breeder and always had soft poop, after doing the bland diet ( rice and boiled chicken) the vet said to try a different food with the probiotics we switched to science diet puppy land and rice, that didn’t work either. Now I have a bag of blue buffalo and science diet that Gus can’t eat. I took Gus back to the vet yesterday and he still believes that he has a sensitive stomach, he put Gus on Royal Cain veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal puppy dry food. Gus has been on it for one day and today his poop is 80 percent normal. I will let you know if it keeps working, it is very expensive $40.00 for a 8.8 lbs bag

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

My dog had on and off tummy trouble when he was younger, I changed him to Burns lamb and rice which settled his tummy. Chicken based kibble doesn't agree with him but he'll eat some raw or cooked chicken happily.

It's tough but try out some different brands, some have a "sensitive" range. Get small bags until you are more sure what works best for your dog.

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

My puppy who is now 15 months had loads of digestive problems last year. Anything with chicken in upset her. On vets recommendation she was on Hills i/d Prescription wet food for ages (this is turkey and rice). It was very very expensive but suited her. I eventually transitioned her to Symply Puppy Large Breed kibble which is turkey and rice. It took months and I have been very careful with her food - she now has the Symply kibble, cooked roast turkey for special treats and a couple of fish cubes at bed time - nothing else. I still don’t understand all the digestive upsets despite tests and vet visits but it was all very upsetting. Unfortunately it seems to be a trial and error thing but I know a lot of dogs can’t tolerate chicken. I hope you can sort quickly.

5. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

My puppy had this just after Christmas and the vet gave him a probioitc and changed him to chicken and rice after a couple of days he was back to normal. He was on mii pet food from the vets and still had tummy upset again after a few weeks so slowly changed him to step up puppy food from pets at home. He loves it and we haven't had any runny poo since. They do it a dry bagged food or tins of wet. Bagheera has turkey & rice and loves it. Good luck