Puppy Food

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Puppypal, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Has anyone got any good recommendations of food for a lab puppy, at the moment she is on fish4dogs but don't know if there is any other good puppy food's out there as she will be used as a working SAR dog when older

2. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

Re: Puppy Food

Dexter is on the chicken and rice Kirkland Puppy dry food from Costco. He loves it! :) Its a 'complete' food which I'm sure means something... I've read so much on puppies and Labrador's I can't quite remember what I've read and what my mind has made up!

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Puppypal ,this question brings forth lots of variations, mine isnt always helpful in the general I'm always a standard answer on this :) Dex has a really sensitive tummy ....so he's on royal canin gastro intestinal kibble as his main food,he has steamed chicken for high value training treats and roast chicken with the skin removed for his jackpot treats.his kongs are kibble soaked in either plain water or the stock that comes off his steamed chicken.it sounds like prison food doesn't it!?i try to make up for that in giving Him a fun life ;D

4. Puppypal

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=2371.msg23031#msg23031 date=1377692404]
    Puppypal ,this question brings forth lots of variations, mine isnt always helpful in the general I'm always a standard answer on this :) Dex has a really sensitive tummy ....so he's on royal canin gastro intestinal kibble as his main food,he has steamed chicken for high value training treats and roast chicken with the skin removed for his jackpot treats.his kongs are kibble soaked in either plain water or the stock that comes off his steamed chicken.it sounds like prison food doesn't it!?i try to make up for that in giving Him a fun life ;D
    [/quote]

Better than puzzle's food, it is all kibble even her 'treats' are just her own kibble, not that she cares. Barley on the other hand is completely different, his food is a mix of wet and dry then raw on weekends, his treats are actual treats, mostly high meat ones as plain biscuits are boring to him

5. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

Dexter has the Wagg puppy training treats and had chicken for the first time on Sunday.

His Kong is filled with soaked Kibble with a few treats in the middle and then put in the freezer. He loves them! Now he's 3 months old Karl bought him some chocolate buttons from Pets at Home at the weekend which we're using for harness training in the garden :)

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Total Kibble ;D was dexters life for a good while but I did get to the point in training where he wouldn't work for it anymore and our first set of obedience classes were a right off as he spent the hour trying to get to everyone else's treats!thats when I upped to steamed chicken....it did make him looser again but he's toughened up to handle it as he has grown.i know you are considering raw in time for Puzzle so I guess there will be a lot of trial and error to get the balance right.

7. Puppypal

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=2371.msg23035#msg23035 date=1377693305]
    Total Kibble ;D was dexters life for a good while but I did get to the point in training where he wouldn't work for it anymore and our first set of obedience classes were a right off as he spent the hour trying to get to everyone else's treats!thats when I upped to steamed chicken....it did make him looser again but he's toughened up to handle it as he has grown.i know you are considering raw in time for Puzzle so I guess there will be a lot of trial and error to get the balance right.
    [/quote]

Yeah i think it will end up being trial and error, dad says that fish4dogs is too expensive to keep her on, (we only bought it because it was on offer) but her general body condition is lovely, a shiny coat, nice firm poo's. When we got her her coat was quite dull, she was being fed on skinners field and trial puppy food, which obviously was not right for her

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Puppypal - Charlie is on Royal Canin Labrador Junior. Because the breeder used it, and he seemed to be fine on it. I'd swap if I thought something else was better. (Am reading about raw, but don't know enough yet to try it).

I get my treats from fish4dogs, and they are a big hit here. Was just looking and wondering about the food from fish4dogs. It does look good, I've just finished reading about it. So you'd stick to it but for the cost? I'm just wondering whether to try it.

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I live in Canada so not sure if this brand is available there but I feed Simba Nutro Lamb and Rice Large Breed...it comes in a puppy variety too. He seems to do well on it so far.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We have recently been looking at Eden Dog Food which is produced in the UK and looks heck of a similar to Orijen, but a fair bit cheaper (not budget priced, but a bit cheaper!). Priced as low as £44 for 15kg bag if bought in bulk. Depends on how many dogs you need to feed.
    This subject is a constant source of headache for me ::)

11. Puppypal

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=2371.msg23058#msg23058 date=1377698174]
    Puppypal - Charlie is on Royal Canin Labrador Junior. Because the breeder used it, and he seemed to be fine on it. I'd swap if I thought something else was better. (Am reading about raw, but don't know enough yet to try it).

I get my treats from fish4dogs, and they are a big hit here. Was just looking and wondering about the food from fish4dogs. It does look good, I've just finished reading about it. So you'd stick to it but for the cost? I'm just wondering whether to try it.
    [/quote]

We did also order some treats as well but have not got round to trying them yet, we have got the sea jerky tiddlers and the super stars one and a pack of the sea wrap treats, we might get some of the sea biscuits one next as well

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We used to feed ours on Fish4Dogs but Charlie was a complete nutter on it, when we checked the protein levels are 26% so too high for a non working dog, we now have them both on Burns Alert at 18% protein and the difference in Charlie was huge so we are sticking with that and it's not a bad price and VAT free. Helen x

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

It does depend on the dog, though.
    Switching Lilly to a higher protein food has done absolutely nothing - if anything she is more laid back ;)
    I was a bit anxious I have to admit.

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Jac, we all know that Charlie is a "different" dog ;) Helen x

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Different in many wonderful ways ;)

Great he is doing so well :)

16. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I switched Sam from a relatively high protein food to a much lower one because it was evident that he was going to be a big dog and I wanted his growth to be slower . He went onto CSJ and did well on it, then he became a bit itchy and thinking it may be the wheat content , I put him onto Skinners salmon and rice , he does well on it and so does little Millie too so they will stay on it, its VAT free too which is great and about 19-20% protein , they have suitable scraps too and so I reduce the ammount of kibble .
    Treat wise , I always used tiny bits of cooked sausage, also make liver biscuits or tuna ones , fish skins are also a big hit and cheap to make x