puppy games?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Hi guys... what are good games to play with our pups? Bob isn't really into chasing balls. He loves pulling games.. my son and he can do that for ages! Just wondered what else we could try? How do search/scented games work? Any suggestions gratefully received.. I feel like we don't play with Bob enough really as I don't know what to do other than throw a ball, rub his tummy or groom him!

Silly really....

Lou x

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: puppy games?

I get Willow to chase me. She loves it and sends her loopy!

3. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We hid little bits of treat around the house and garden and play "seek". Start with easy ones so Bob can learn the command "seek".

More recently we've been rubbing the treat over our hands. When Holly smells the hand she knows the game is on!

Treat balls are also good fun as the puppy can bash them around trying to dislodge bits of food.

Have you tried the big furry footballs from pet shops? When she was small Holly would pounce on hers and wrestle with it instead of chasing it.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We play hide and seek - I hide in a room, she finds me :)
    We also hide treats or a toy and get her to find it
    Footballs go down a treat at home (don't pump it up fully so they can pick it up - leather footballs are harder to bust!)

5. Molly the dolly

Molly the dolly Registered Users

Hi,

We play hide and seek too. We went to a nose and scent work taster session the other month and the trainer gave us a fluffy pencil case to take home. You then put some treats in the pencil case ( we use smelly fishy ones!) and then put your puppy in another room briefly while you hide it. Then you let your puppy in and encourage them to find the pencil case which eventually they should learn to bring back to you for a reward. You might have to take it off them for the first few times until they get the idea. I've taught Molly the cue 'find it'. Then hide and repeat! Molly loves this game once she got the hang if it and I've found it great for rainy days to tire her out a bit!

Molly also loves tugging with toys and chase me!

She also has a rip n tug lotus ball. She wasn't a massively enthusiastic retriever when she was younger so someone suggested we try this. Basically you open the ball up like a lotus flower, put a treat inside and throw it. She then brings it back to me and I open it for a reward. She loves this one too and is now quite keen on retrieving balls! ;D

6. Loopyloo30

Thanks guys some great ideas there! Love the fluffy pencil case one... will try that defo!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've recommended this book so often lately, people will think I've got shares in the publisher! I don't, honest...

Learning games by Kay Laurence - the stuff you can teach through playing games in incredible. So wish I had read this when Charlie was a pup...

8. Loopyloo30

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8509.msg120379#msg120379 date=1414525376]
    I've recommended this book so often lately, people will think I've got shares in the publisher! I don't, honest...

Learning games by Kay Laurence - the stuff you can teach through playing games in incredible. So wish I had read this when Charlie was a pup...
    [/quote]

Thank you Julie, I'll look it up!