Puppy going potty in crate

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Gray, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Gray

Gray Registered Users

hi,

I have a 12 week old chocolate lab named Dexter. He has been great except for this new pottying in crate issue; I am simply seeking advice or insight

So I've had him for 4 week and initially he was in a tiny little puppy crate, and would sleep through the night and only once peed in crate. About two weeks ago his adult crate was purchased and I use the divider so it's not so huge for him while he's still tiny.

As of a week ago, however, he has began crying at 2 am, at which point I take him out, and then when I wake up in the morning he has pooped and peed EVERYWHERE. Keep in mind the first few days in the new crate he never soiled it.

Also, he's crated from like 10 to 2 everyday until me or my girlfriend can get back home, and he was also fine with that until the last few days and now we expect to return to a mess.

I own two other dogs who I raised as puppies and including my childhood I have raised or helped raise 7 puppies, never had this issue. My golden retriever is 1 year old and was a breeze she only had 2 pees inside ever at 8 weeks and never in the crate.

I and (especially) my gf are overwhelmed and while Im confident it'll all work out long term, I am loooking for some advice or insight.

Thank you everyone

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome. These things are hard to pinpoint as it could be so many reasons; a load noise might of scared him in his new crate, he might not see the separator as a good thing, he might have a bladder infection, he might be poorly etc etc.
    It might be worth setting your alarm every few hours for a week to take him out and see if that helps. Every puppy is different and their ability to hold their bladders varies.

3. Leanne82

Leanne82 Registered Users

Have you set up a camera or anything to see what he does when you leave him for 4 hours? Maslow is 11 weeks now and apart from overnight I can’t leave him alone (unless he’s asleep in his crate) for more than 20 minutes or he will cry.

I suppose I would worry that in those 4 hours he’s getting distressed and messing and that’s taking away his instinct to hold it during the night?