Puppy harness what ones best please?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lemmys mum, Sep 24, 2014.

1. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

Just read Pippa's article on training puppy to walk on a harness and as I've used one to walk my Mums adult lab I do really like them Dylan is a heavy lab and both me and Mum walk him easily with this he just wombles along next to us ( he is ten though and bit slow now)
    Anyway Lemmy is due to go wallies soon and I'd like to start with a harness for walks and heel work even though he wears a collar in house and garden. Trouble is he's growing fast so want one ideally that will fit him for awhile just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
    Thank you

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Puppy harness what ones best please?

Hi there,

These are the harnesses I have seen recommended by obedience instructors

Mekuti harness
    Freedom harness
    Perfect Fit harness

I shall be personally reviewing these three at some point, but I have read good things about them

4. lemmys mum

Thanks for replies I'll have a look at all of them and see what will be best for Lemmy. Pippa I've just ordered The puppy book and Total recall so sure as long as I follow your advice Lemmy will have best start in his training. Have already got him sitting and house trained and well on way to a good down too. Love that its all reward based long time coming hated all that choke chaining and hollering never bought into it. Thank you so much for all your advice . x

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The thing I look for in a harness (and I have tried what seems like hundreds) is a Y shaped front, and a girth fastening that is way down the back. In this way, the harness leave the front legs and shoulders completely free and is clear of the back of the front legs. Y shaped harnesses are effective as back fastening harnesses, I do not think they work so well used as a front fastening harnesses. One, but not the only reason, I do not use a front fastening harness.

I think the dog-games (including perfect fit) used as a back fastening harness are the best. They are not cheap. While your puppy is very small but growing fast and you will need several harnesses, I think the best harness is the simple mesh harnesses that you can get from pets at home and online. One brand of these is Puppia but you can get cheaper unbranded ones.

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hope you enjoy the books :)

7. lemmys mum

I was thinking of maybe getting one fitted at pet store to see how we get on then investing in full size one when he is more or less at full girth. I'll have a think about it. I'm sure I will enjoy the books can't wait for postman now lol. :)

8. Shelby

Shelby Registered Users

I'm in Australia and finding a good harness is not easy. I am using a Gentle Leader "Easy Walk Harnes" which makes walking much more enjoyable. However my wiggling Lab can get out of it, so have had to use a clip from harness to collar (just incase). I have used halter style leads in the past on German Shepards. Pippa you mention you don't like them, interested to hear your thoughts. The GSD's dd not love them but knew there would be no walk with out it. A harness is possibly a better option when walking a very strong dog.

9. Veela

Veela Registered Users

We've just bought an Xtradog fleece harness and have been amazed at the result. Walking Ruby was becoming a nightmare as she lunged forwards all the time. I was really reluctant to end up with a Halti but thought we were heading that way. We're starting to really enjoy our walks now and they're so much more positive so I think we've got more of a chance of the loose lead clicker training working.

www.xtradog.com/shop/shop-by-product/harnesses/fleece-dog-harnesses/fleece-harnesses.html

10. lemmys mum

Thanks for all your suggestions I've got plenty to look at and decide. Can't wait to get him out he's got a week go and I'm pretty sure he's more than ready as he's really full of bounce now. Doing plenty of fun training with him in garden but can really see his energy levels rising. He sleeps through from about one till seven and is absolutely brilliant with cat and gets his toys out of his toy box to play I think once he can have small walks too he'll be really happy. X