Puppy Has Lots of Pee and Poo...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by sunshineb75, Aug 6, 2017.

1. sunshineb75

sunshineb75 Registered Users

My little Kalia is 16 weeks old and at times seems to go to the bathroom way too much. For instance, this morning I brought her out to wee, she went, sniffed/looked/played around for maybe 3-4 minutes, and went a little more. She is good about telling us when she wants to go out, but sometimes she doesn't need to go to the bathroom, but wants to play instead. So, if she has gone to the bathroom recently (within an hour or less) we may ignore her plea to go outside. Sometimes we don't, and we have found that some of these times she does need to relieve herself.

She also poos quite a bit. We have changed her food, changed the feeding time, fed her less, and tried many things to see if anything would help. However, she will poo two-five times each night during sleep time. She sleeps with my daughter and does not alert her to needing to go out.

Currently, she eats three times a day, nearly 3 cups a day. She is also taking a probiotic.

Kalia is a pretty hyper dog so I wonder if the wee part is due to not taking the time to fully relieve herself. She has no other symptoms. Is not lethargic, does not act like she has pain, etc.

Anyone have any insight?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Weeing a lot can be a sign of a UTI, so it's worth having a sample analysed by your vet.

Five times a night for pooing is definitely excessive. It may simply be that she is getting too much food; it's impossible to say how much she needs, because it depends on the brand/quality of food, puppy's activity level, size and metabolism. What does the packet say in terms of amount? Most (but not all) Labradors need significantly less than the packet advises.

How solid is the poo?

sunshineb75 likes this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I know its frustrating, but don't ignore her when she asks to go out . Give her a few minutes to relieve herself , and then if she doesn't and starts to mess around , calmly bring her back in , but don't ignore her asking in the first place . I was just about to say that maybe she is getting too much food, then noticed that @snowbunny had suggested the same !

sunshineb75 likes this.
  4. sunshineb75

Packet says more than we are feeding her, but I will try to lower the amount even more.

It's not as solid as it should be sometimes. Other times it seems "normal".

5. sunshineb75

Thank you!

Do you think we should take her even if it has been a few minutes following her last potty break?

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It might be worth popping her on the lead to go out for a wee so she doesn't see it as playtime. As soon as she has been, reward her with a little play off lead. What time do you feed her last meal?

sunshineb75 and kateincornwall like this.