Puppy has perforated eardrums causing deafness

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by carolinegoodman, Sep 3, 2019.

1. carolinegoodman

carolinegoodman Registered Users

Hi, we have an 8 month black lab who over last few months has shown many signs of deafness, was diagnosed (via ear swab, no inspection of ear) with ear infection and subsequently treated with drops. He was desexed last week and we asked if they could have a good look in his ears whilst he was under anaesthesia. They reported that ears looked good, no issue. They recommended a BAER hearing test as they felt there was something wrong with his hearing. BAER test was done today and confirmed deafness, also showed both eardrums were perforated. They think damage is permanent and have put him on antibiotics for a month. I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem and do you know if the eardrum is able to repair itself.

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, what a worry for you. I have no experience to offer other than in humans perforated ear drums are pretty common, particularly in children. They typically heal quite easily, usually needing antibiotics. Skin theory dogs could be similar. I suspect though your dogs deafness may be more complicated than that, perhaps have another chat to your vet.