Puppy heading towards being on heat?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Me and my dog, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

Pearl will be six months in about two weeks. Today I noticed her wipe her back feet near where she had just done a poo.. I don't think I've noticed her do that before. Some could be laughing at this..:) but I'm inexperienced in this..is she heading for her first season? Also can anyone please share some more signs of being in season...

2. Me and my dog

Or if not...any explanation for this?

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Scraping feet after a poo (or a wee) could be scent marking - dogs have glands in their feet that secrete pheromones, or just visual marking with a scrape. I don't have any experience of female dogs in season, so can't comment on that aspect.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, I don't have a wealth of experience with this. Neither of my girls have scratched their feet on the ground at any point. My boy started to do this a couple of months ago on and off - he's now three years old. So I'm not sure how linked it is to maturity.

My puppy is in season right now; it started three days before she turned 11 months, but it can happen anywhere from 6 months on. I think 11 months is later than normal, but it can be even later without it being a worry. Some people notice more interest from other dogs before the season starts. We didn't. Some notice the puppy licking herself more. We didn't. When Luna came into season, it was, forgive the pun, "bloody" obvious :D
    Her vulva was a bit swollen, but the blood was a dead giveaway. Think Texas Chainsaw Massacre. She became more swollen as it went on.

5. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I first noticed my pup's swollen vulva, it was huge! The bleeding started a day later. No other signs in the days leading up. She was about 10.5 months.

6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Cassie was 11 months when she had her first season, now at 18 months she's coming to the end her second one. On both occasions the start was characterised by intense licking of her vulval area and by being quite clingy. I haven't noticed her scraping after pooing at all.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

All my dogs scrape their feet after a wee or poop. Moo cascades grass and clippings all over the place.She even made a plant pot shattered with one kung foo Labrador foot flick. They seem to be scent marking then spreading their me ness all over.

Beanwood, Karen and snowbunny like this.
  8. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh my Bailey does the foot scraping after a poo and sometimes a wee if he has squatted rather than lifted a leg. Every time after a poo, he walks a couple of paces away, waits until either I or the OH bend over to pick it up and then scrape, scrape, scrape....we end up covered in grass, mud and whatever else is lying around to be scraped up! He started doing this at about 13 months old and hasn't stopped since - it's quite comical the expression on his face while he's doing it - the timing is perfect and one or the other of us pooper scoopers gets covered every time! :D :D

9. Lara

Lara Registered Users

My female dog also scratches the ground after wees and poos. No relationship to seasons with her, she has done it since we got her. It sometimes triggers a ‘yay I’ve just done a pooooo’ zoomie! :)

Karen likes this.
  10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

My Ella scratches her back paws after every paws but she was spayed around 6 months so it wasn't season related for her.

One occasion was particularly embarrassing. We were at an obedience trial and I was toileting her before going into the ring. She did her poo and the flicked wet, muddy grass all over a car that was parked beside the grass. I tried to brush it off but ended up leaving muddy smears all down the bonnet :facepalm:

BevE and snowbunny like this.
  11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Having said Shadow does it "on and off", he did it after pretty much every wee on his walk last night. It was a lead walk. Guess who was in the firing line each time, to be covered in dust and stones?

NOT ME! HAHAHAH!

Poor J :D

BevE and Naya like this.
  12. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Actually, @snowbunny's reply has reminded me, when Plum was walking on lead because she was in season, she did the wiping of the paws thing, with a little scoot thrown in for good measure, after most poos, though not wees.
    Funny things, our dogs :).

selina27 likes this.
  13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley came into season around 10 months old. We noticed because she started licking herself a lot - we hardly seen any blood except for when she was asleep as she kept herself so clean.
    As for the kicking of grass/mud after a poo - everytime Harley is around other dog that do it, she seems to do it for a few days then stops again! Very random!

14. Me and my dog

15. Me and my dog

Has there been any negatives aspects since she was spayed? Any change in coat condition, personality? My pups 6 months, so have had thoughts about spaying then not then thinking I may.

16. Emily

Emily Registered Users

No, I didn't notice any changes in coat or personality after her Spay. I personally wouldn't factor either into a pro/con list for the early spay (before first season).