puppy in the mirror

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by FoxyLady, Oct 11, 2015.

1. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

Is there an age when puppies realise that the puppy they see in a mirror or a plane of glass is actually them?

My older dogs don't react to the dog-in-the-mirror although I do have one that stares at herself but I think that is vanity - but my 5 month puppy will play bow and then take of round the room and then back to the mirror and play bow etc - When does the penny drop?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I don't think the penny ever drops ;) Sam is four years old and when he comes into the bedroom , he still looks at himself in the full length mirror , and growls but with a wagging tail :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't know much about this, over what I've read in a couple of magazines - but dogs don't have the sense of self that humans (and chimps) have. They don't think in a way that allows them to recognise themselves as "a being" in relation to the world. Although, they can recognise their own smell ok, so maybe it's more accurate to say they aren't prompted to do so by a mirror, anyway.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We have a floor-length mirror in the bedroom that they very, very rarely react to, and a higher mirror in the living room that they can only see into when they stand on the sofa. Shadow often barks at himself, or either of us, if he sees the reflection. Daft dog. They also both barked at the pencil drawings I had done of them in May. :)

5. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

well I do have several mirrors strategically placed for obedience work and full length patio doors and windows which I don't usually draw the curtains, so I think my pup thought she was a bit surrounded!!

I have started closing the curtains now - but it doesn't seem to bother the other dogs - I seemed to remember that kids at some age realise that it is them in the mirror - but wasn't sure about dogs - perhaps they just get used to the movement they see, not leading to anything and learn to ignore.