puppy just started whinning in her kennel

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by tonishaw123, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tonishaw123

tonishaw123 Registered Users

Hiya ... my puppy is nearly 9 weeks ... she has always lived in a kennel and has been fine for few days however has found her voice to howl and whin.... I new this was going to happen ... but I unsure how to deal with it do I ignored or be firm voice ?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: puppy just started whinning in her kennel

Hi , is your puppy outside in her kennel and is she on her own ? I think at almost nine weeks , she is feeling lonely and possibly afraid too , maybe a little too young if she is outdoors and alone ?

3. tonishaw123

But she been outside since birth ..... so knows no difference ... yes I suppose she has been with other puppies ... However she has been fine for a week and still is ok at night ... its the odd 15 to 30 min in the day when I nip to shop that is all ...

4. kateincornwall

I`m sure this is the case , she is missing her siblings . Often, pups who are kept indoors will cry for a couple of weeks when left alone , for the same reason , they need to build up confidence that you are coming back . What I would do is to leave her with an item of unwashed clothing so that she can scent you, this often gives comfort to young pups .

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'd take a step back and start re-introducing her to the kennel during the day for just a minute at a time, just as you would train a puppy to get used to its crate. Build up slowly and gently, eventually she will see the kennel as her safe, calm place and will not associate it with being a place where she is left on her own.

6. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

Probably she's feeling a bit lonely. Maybe she just needs reassurance that you are around. I'd let her see you without making a fuss of her just as a way to settle her. X

7. tonishaw123

Hiya all ... Just an update she seems to be fine today nipped out however no noise at all just got into her basket and no fuss at all so hopefully problem solved

Thanks

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds good! :)

9. kateincornwall

Great :)