Puppy messing in crate and distressed

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pmack86, Sep 29, 2013.

1. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

hi to be fair its just probably me panicking but he has a upset stomach basically it started early hours of the morning he was in his cage as normal and we have never had a problem with howling or anything well this morning it sounded like he was being murdered when I came downstairs he'd messed all over the cage and himself (he has never had accidents in his own bed before) I let him out and he bolted to the back door and went again he came in a drank a full bowl of water and I sat with him for 2 hours just to make sure he was ok nothing happened so I went to bed and thort nothing more of it 5.30 this morning we had the same again since then he's been another 3 times been a little playful but mainly laid on sofa snoring lol soon as I type anything into google its just like its gonna die take it to the vet blah blah blah but we don't all run to the hospital after a dodgy curry so wondered if anyone could help?

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Puppy messing in crate and distressed

Hi there and welcome. As you say it's probably just something he ate, but puppies can get dehydrated quite easily, so make sure he drinks - lots of small amounts are better than one huge big drink. I would call your vet to be sure, but normally with a pup that has an upset tummy you leave out a meal or even two until the diahorrea is gone, then gradually reintroduce easily digested food - boiled rice with chicken is a favourite. But if he feels hot and/or seems very sluggish you should contact the vet without delay.

Try not to worry too much though - the volcanic explosion of poo in the crate can be a horrible fright, but it's normally nothing more than an upset tummy, and the pup is usually back to normal within 24 hours. But please let us know how you get on!

3. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

This is so dejavu for me...McQueen did the same thing the first few nights. The vet put it down to missing mum .... back to normal in about 48 hours...I did however keep him unfed for a good 20hrs as told to do so until his tummy was back to normal. Not sure but it did work for me...

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sorry I can't help with advice as I haven't experience but I hope your puppy seems better....bet you've had a scare,it's horrible when they are poorly
    Best wishes
    Angela

5. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

thanks for the advice ive taken his food off him (doesn't look impressed lol) he was hyper so been for a walk round the block stomach worse than was but vet said keep a eye on him till tomorrow and we will see where we go from there will keep updating

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh dear, I hope he's better in the AM. Do let us know!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=pmack86 link=topic=2741.msg27969#msg27969 date=1380457616]
    thanks for the advice ive taken his food off him (doesn't look impressed lol)
    [/quote]

Does he have food down all the time?

8. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

ye sometimes I can put breakfast down and it can still b there at 2-3 in afternoon some days he will eat 3 bowls I think ive narrowed the sorce of the problem down to dog treats with colouring he likes pigs ears but I bought some cheapo different colour ones and now hes bad so blaming them lol how do I add photos onto this site or cant I?

9. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh my , what a great photo , thats really lovely :)

11. Alice

Alice Registered Users

What a lovely photo. Hope he's back to normal soon.
    Alice

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Cute :) Hope everything is back to normal soon.

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Two little sweethearts!! :D

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

They are going to be really good chums by the look of it x

15. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

quick update
    he has had no food for 20 hours just had rice and handful of his biscuits because had no chicken defrosted soooo fingers crossed now just want my lively bundle of fun back :(

16. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

He is beautiful!

17. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

hey pippa thanks everybody comments on how good looking he is takes a hour to do a 20 min walk do you know anywhere I can advertise for studding I know he is to young at the moment and I didn't really want to stud him but he's got a lot of champions in his blood line both sides of the family so seemed a shame not to keep the generations going

18. pippa@labforumHQ

Hi,

The key points you will need to consider before offering your dog at stud are

• [li]Temperament, which will not be fully developed until your dog is mature[/li]
      [li]Health, tests start from about one year of age. Eyes, hips and elbows first and foremost. [/li]
      [li]Ability/success[/li]

People are naturally picky about which dog they take their bitch to, so you will need to have all three in place before you start. Once your dog has had some success, either in the show ring or the field, then you will tend to find bitch owners come to you. But there are plenty of online sites where you can advertise a dog at stud when the time comes.

There is an article here which may interest you: So you want your Labrador to be a stud dog

19. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

would just like to say a massive thank you to all that posted in this forum about my poorly boy the latest is well its like nothing ever happened been for a walk poo fine full of energy and mischief again :) once again a massive thanks I got myself in a bit of a flap with it all but some great advice on here.
    tomorrow we are starting clicker training again he's had 2 luxury days off with nothing so back to it.

20. pippa@labforumHQ

That's great news :D