puppy not interested in her raw meals

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by aussielover, Apr 16, 2018.

1. aussielover

aussielover Registered Users

It has been only about 6 wks. into raw diet for my 7 month old. puppy. Lately she is not wanting to eat it . Been to the vets. to have her look at to see if any health issues ,none. Even on kibbles she would never eat the suggest portions or not eat at all. I have her on supplements. Has anyone had a dog like this and what have you done to increase their appetite?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

I have a typical dustbin of a lab I'm happy (?) to say.

My friend with a cockerpoo has tried everything to get him to eat, maybe eats kibble for a couple of days then "goes of it". Same thing with raw, not a fan, even butchers meat and fresh fist. They currently have him eating Bob and Lush, and this is working from them, but they have literally tried everything.

Are you using a ready made raw diet like Nature's menu, or are you home cooking? Not that I'm sure it would make much of a difference probably.
    Sorry not much help.

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If your 7 month pup has been checked by the vet and is healthy, then either there is something about the food she dislikes or more likely she just isn't hungry and is full up. Have you tried giving her less food to see?

4. aussielover

aussielover Registered Users

When I started her on raw we did it slow and made my own, she ate the necks and wings with the ground meat. I brought frozen from store to add variety of proteins to her diet. I am going to try giving her very little on her plate and see what she does. I just worry she is not getting enough to stay healthy. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Is her weight stable? Can you see her ribs when she turns or is she moderately covered? I guess if she was underweight the vet would have said.

6. MF

MF Registered Users

Some people find that their dogs don’t like a particular texture of meat, and feeding it frozen has better results - ie the dog eats it. Others have found searing the meat makes it more palatable. You could also try pouring hot water over to release the flavors - make sure it’s cooled enough before serving.

My boy refused raw liver at first. After a year I reintroduced it and now he eats it with no issue. Also, as a young dog he sometimes left food - very un-labrador! However, when he started epilepsy meds at 3.5 years old (unfortunately had seizures), he seemed to lose the appetite modulator in his brain (apparently epilepsy meds does this) and he now polishes off every morsel, and still wants more!

Edited to add that my boy refused the premade raw mixtures, but happily eats whole meat and whole meaty bones. So I don’t buy premade minced raw. Anyway I like to know exactly what he’s eating, and some premade minced raw has dubious ingredients, like too much ground bone, for example, or not enough muscle meat, or too much fruit and veg.

7. Lil' Alex

Lil' Alex Registered Users

Have you tried adding something like coconut oil or salmon oil to the meal? They’re really appealing to dogs and they are also great for your dog’s skin and coat. I feed a tablespoon of coconut oil occasionally as a treat with Lunas raw food and she wolfs it down faster than usual! Be careful not to use too much as it can cause loose stools but a small amount (up to a tablespoon though less for a young dog) may help entice your pup :)