Puppy only barks at me when I sit down

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by 4theloveoflabs, Mar 5, 2017.

1. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

My 6mo male lab puppy only barks and bites at me when I sit down to eat or read. I am typically the one that takes him on walks and feeds him. He does not do this to my fiancé. Any tips?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sounds like the little monkey is attention seeking ! I would try to ignore if possible , as you will be rewarding his barking and biting if you pay him attention . Maybe try distracting him with a kong or toy ?

Jojo83 likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is very typical 6 month old behaviour.

If you have met all his needs for food, water, toilet, play, exercise and training you can safely ignore him.

When Mollie (5 months old) does it I turn my back and give no eye contact. She gets the message and goes to rootle in her toy box. At first, when I turned my back, she bit my leg! So I removed myself from the room immediately every time - so that behaviour soon disappeared.

Norty girl! Did you ever see such a lazy sit ??

IMG_3298.JPG

Attached Files:

4. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

That is exactly what I tried doing was turning around and he bit me! I will try walking away

5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

But so beautiful with it :)

6. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

To be fair to Miss Mollie, how else is she supposed to fit in that bed? :D

For @4theloveoflabs , I think that's pretty typical behaviour. As others have said, they learn so quickly what gets your attention. Don't let it discourage you: he learned one way, he can relearn another.

I had a foster once who was returned by her original adopters because she "jumped up and bit them all the time". In fact, as I quickly discovered, she had learned to jump up and bite people on the rear end as they were in the kitchen making food. This was quite a feat considering she was a chihuahua mix. Miss Springs for Legs. Anyway, within a week of ignoring her when she did it plus giving her positive reinforcement for the good stuff (sitting before being fed for example), she stopped the posterior biting.

To be honest, she probably would have stopped it sooner if I didn't break into a fit of giggles every time she did it. I just couldn't muster 100% ignoring her when she was accomplishing such an acrobatic feat! :rolleyes:

4theloveoflabs and edzbird like this.