Puppy only walks with head down

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kobe, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Ive noticed this fir the last few weeks...hard to say when it started or if its always been like this. Our puppy is about 18wo now (4mo on May 22)

He only ever walks with his head down or flat. So a flat line from butt to head. He never holds his head upright.

I've read it can be a sign of neck or hip problems but I dont feel it is hips as he has no other signs or indications. Both arents have perfect hip scores. Maybe a neck problem? We do play a lot of tug with him but always instigated by him and we are careful not to pull hard or hold it up high.

I've also read it can be fear or uncertainty. I feel it is more this but I am kind of upset aboit that! He usually looks like he is slinking around fearfully and timidly like an abused dog who is afraid he's going to get hit!! We would never hurt our dog physically or emotionally and never have! We love him and give him so much love and attention and play, walks, fun, games, training....

My husband thinks he us just always interested on whats on the ground which is true but even to walk around the hkuse he walks like this. And does not have his eyes focussed on the ground but up at us.... like he's fearful.

Anyone have any thoughts? Im quite worried!

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hmmm…..when Pongo was young he always walked with his head down; it made him look very sad all the time but we eventually realised it was because he is absolutely obsessed with scents, loves using his nose, and just wants to put it where he can get the most possible scent all the time....

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Does he move his head freely at other times, when playing, standing to sitting?

As he's showing signs of fear he may be uncomfortable, I'd probably mention it to the vet, if its a stiff neck problem or nervousness both would possibly need treatment.

When Homer heads off on a walk his head is often level with his back and forward with his eyes gazing in front of him with his nose slightly pointing down. This is his confident forward moving pose.

selina27 likes this.
  4. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

This is how I would describe it. I thought a confident posture would be with his head held upright.

So perhaps it's normal!

5. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

This is what my husband thinks!! Thank you!

Rosie likes this.
  6. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

Agree with above. A Labrador, when outside the home is almost triangular in shape , with nose down and tail out, exploring the world.

farahmay likes this.
  7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I noticed this about my foster dog Lab, too. My Rottie always walked with his head up, Carbon's head is always down. As @Rosie said about Pongo, it does make him look sad, at least to me. But watching him closely, he's not sad at all, just on the lookout CONSTANTLY for something edible on the ground. And he usually finds it. :confused:

farahmay, Lin, selina27 and 2 others like this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Heh, I play a game with Squidge. Every now and then during the day I have to go to our outbuildings during the day; they’re outside our enclosed house/garden ares and the chocolate pot always comes with me. She will stop halfway there. On the way back, I stalk her. My head goes down and stays absolutely still in the vertical plane and my “feet” (all four of them!) prowl like a hunting lion. She knows exactly what is happening and pretends not to see me until one of us suddenly explodes forwards in a “hah! I win!” kind of way. It’s one of my favourite parts of the day. We then go back home and both stalk Shadow and/or Willow through the gate. Same thing, head low and unmoving, until we explode into a ridiculous mess of chasing.
    I’m not saying that’s what you have, but just to say that the picture you’re seeing might not be what you’re expecting but it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, either :)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  9. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Things to look out for are tail and ears. Homer will have his tail curving slightly up with the feathery part showing or in a long straight line from nose to tip of tail with his ears in a relaxed neutral position, different from ears forward in a I want my dinner position, but if anxious his ears flatten against his head, and are a little back from their usual position. His tail curves down with the tip towards the ground or pointing underneath him. When anxious his shoulders rise and there is a slight dip in his neck, he'll look up with his eyes head down, there is a slight curve over his back legs and his tail is against his bottom.

When walking in lead his neck makes about a 30 degree angle from his back then the top of his head is flat.

10. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

I think this must be it!!