Puppy Panosteitis, growing pains

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mango, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Mango

Mango Registered Users

Has anyone experienced it? Is it common in labs?

I have mentioned Mango started limping all of a sudden on his right front paw. I wend from fear of being ED/DJD to remembering he made a strange move running and retrieving and it would be a ligament problem to now hoping it is ''just'' growing pains.

As we have to wait until Monday to see a vet, I stopped most activities. No more jumping on bed, running up and down the stairs, only walking for potty. It is hard to keep him still, but I'm trying. So far it's going well, but he is still limping.

I don't think he grew too fast, he seems norml to me, but he s my first lab, so I'm not sure.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Mango as you suggest yourself there are a number of reasons why your dog may have started limping. The vet, who you have an appointment with, is your best course of action. Good luck.

3. DizzyDaisy

DizzyDaisy Registered Users

Hi Mango
    My Daisy was diagnosed at a young age with pano in her front leg. This was discovered as she came up lame a number of times and was taken to the vet. Originally the vet thought it was ED, but an xray revealed it was panosteitis. She eventually grew out of it. Best thing to do is have vet check it out.

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Mango fingers crossed that it is Pano; unfortunately a confirmed diagnosis requires
    x-rays to be taken so most likely sedation/GA for them.
    While waiting for your vet appointment it is important to restrict his exercise - so only on lead walks, toilet trips on lead, no jumping of any sort, no running up and downstairs although as a young pup he shouldn't have been doing this anyway to help protect his joints until the growth plates close. Don't be surprised if the restricted exercise has the desired effect and the limp disappears whether it is pain or something else it us likely to return :(