Puppy Parasite

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by GoldenlabZola, Sep 22, 2020.

1. GoldenlabZola

GoldenlabZola Registered Users

Hi everyone

My lab puppy Zola had a parasite when I first brought her home and she was treated with antibiotics and a temporary change in food. She’s been fine for the last three weeks. Slowly gaining weight just under 3kg in the last three weeks. Poops have been back to normal. Pretty regular 3-4times a day. Pretty much all formed some slightly sloppy. Very active. Loves to play. Not dehydrated. Not worried in that sense. But this afternoon and this evening she’s had diarrhoea again. So very sloppy no shape to her poop.

I’ve been slowly increasing the volume of her food so she’s on the recommended for her weight class. But I don’t know if that’s too much for her stomach. I’m also worried the parasite is coming back.

I was going to bring her food back down to what her tummy seemed to cope with and still in the recommended daily allowance and see how it goes. I’m not keen to jump straight back to chicken and rice after a one off since she seemed to have settled on the food. If she has it again I’ll phone the vet again and ask to make sure she doesn’t need more antibiotics.

Does anyone else have any advice or tips? I got so stressed with this last time and I’m so keen to avoid what happened before and I’m very much a worrier which does not help

TIA x

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Do you know what parasite she had? Was it giardia? Are you in the UK?

If so, see how things go for the next few days as it might just be something she ate. If it continues, you can get Panacur 10% wormer which is also effective against giardia - it's non-prescription and you can order it online from any pet pharmacy and it's a good thing to keep in the first aid box.

It's really best to avoid antibiotics in young puppies unless everything else fails - see this research for why metronidazole (an antibiotic commonly used for runny poops) shouldn't be dished out like smarties.

Panacur 10% (not being an AB) is something to try first, before going back to the vet. (Most vets try it first anyway.)

3. GoldenlabZola

GoldenlabZola Registered Users

She had been treated with the Panacur before and then moved onto the abx after a stool sample came back. They initially thought giardia but it came back with something else that they never clearly said what it was.

Her poops seem to have sorted themselves out luckily. She maybe just ate something she shouldn’t have.

I’ll keep an eye on her. Thanks for replying to me!

Jo Laurens likes this.