Puppy Peeing down Legs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lorj2000, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

So Bentley (7 months old) has got into a very bad habbit in the morning of peeing all down his legs, it literally goes everywhere!!!! He must be desperate to go as we take him out first thing, usually about 6.30/6.45am, into the garden and he just pees everywhere, I think its because he is so excited and because he is still "squatting/leaning forward" to wee (By the way is this normal for a male 7 month old pup, I thought they started to cock their legs up?) so its going everywhere. What is funny though is that he then licks both of his legs as he knows he has done it and then tried to clean himself up!!!Anyone else experienced this?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Puppy Peeing down Legs!!!!!

Oh bless him, his bladder must be very full :) :)
    My lad was about 12 months old before his first wobbly attempt at cocking his leg up , before that he would squat x

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh yuk, got to stop that! Sounds like he drinks too much in the evening or at night. Have you tried taking his bowl away after around 7pm in the evening?

4. Jules

Jules Registered Users

Some male dogs never cock their legs. The more confident and self assured the dog is, the more likely it is to cock, as cocking is leaving a message for other male dogs, up high, telling them "This is MY Patch, so Bugger Off!!!". Submissive and young dogs aren't usually so sure of themselves to leave such a message.

You could of course make or get him something like these to stop him from peeing up his own legs ;) http://www.poodleit.com/products/#!/~/product/id=1235171

5. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

Hi Karen, we have always left his water in his pen at night with him as he drinks so much during the day and was worrying that he would be thirsty overnight.....is it ok to remove the bowl? Even in the evening at about 9pm he seems to still drink a bit.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Most people recommend taking the water away in the evening and overnight, to avoid 'accidents'. If you are feeding him dry food, it might be worth feeding him a little earlier, and maybe mixing some water in with his feed, so he doesn't get thirsty at 9pm. That's what I'd try, anyway.. :) Poor lad obviously is literally bursting to go in the morning!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie used to do this all the time - he would just "pee and walk" - it was always worse on the beach (where, thankfully, a quick run through the shallows was good for a clean up). Up to about 9 or 10 months.

After lots of observation (and discussion with the vet) I came to the conclusion that it happened when things were SO exciting that stopping to pee was the biggest waste of time when you can explore and pee at the same time instead!

Going to the garden in the morning used to be super, super, super exciting - now it's just super exciting ::).

He grew out of it, now half the time he cocks his leg, and the other half he squats. We still have occasional pees and walks though.

Pets at home do very good dog anti-bac wipes. I'm still a regular buyer of these...

8. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=4559.msg55705#msg55705 date=1392907177]
    ... My lad was about 12 months old before his first wobbly attempt at cocking his leg up ...[/quote]

The first time that my brother-in-law's dog (a working cocker) attempted to cock his leg to pee .... he fell over! ;)

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I know a working dog that's been taught not to pee unless directed. If he's desperate to go he pees as he walks :eek:

Hopefully he's going to grow out of it as others have suggested :D