Puppy Pees A lot when I get home from work!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Daniel Simonetta, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Daniel Simonetta

Daniel Simonetta Registered Users

I have a 10week old Black Lab (Harley) and we have successfully crate trained him!! (I think lol) My wife and I both work full time but we have some family members come to play with him, feed him, and let him out to do his business at 10am and 1pm everyday. We know that he can’t hold his pee all day, nor do we want to keep him cooped up in his crate all day!!

For the past few days, I’ve been bringing him outside to his “pee spot” in the backyard and he does his business. Then I bring him inside and give him some water. The problem is, he is now starting to pee inside when my wife gets home. (Maybe out of excitement????) but then he’ll pee a few more times throughout the night inside too!! He’s been so good at going to the door when he has to pee/poo and I don’t know why he’s peeing inside all of a sudden!!

Anyone experiencing this or has experienced this with their young pup??

Also, he is getting really dry skin and is scratching himself a lot too! I’ve heard to put a bit of olive oil in his kibble?? Does that work?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Daniel

2. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

Our pup had a few accidents when we went back to work and came home in the afternoon, probably out of excitement (he is at daycare, so not cooped up all day either). We just took a step back and went back to taking him outside every 20-30mins while awake.

A 10 week old is very unlikely to be able to reliably indicate when they need to go. Our job is to give them every opportunity to succeed. :)

Joy likes this.
  3. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

I experienced it with Jax when he was that age, for a few weeks before he became toilet trained. Apart from the normal accidents, he did tend to do it sometimes when excited. Just stick with the toilet training and I'm pretty sure he will grow out of it.

Seems quite a long time for a 10 week old to hold it though. We never managed that, we were taking him out at 15 mins / 20 mins for quite a few weeks before it slowly got better. He was always ok through the night though.

4. tom@labforumHQ

tom@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Daniel, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, but you'll definitely find the help you need here.