Puppy pen suitable for toilet training?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Silver Wolf, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Registered Users

Hi all,

We are trying to help our new arrival get house trained. We are using a pen outside to help with house training, should we be going into the pen? If I do then a lot of the time he decides to sit on my feet, if I'm outside of the pen then he will stand on back legs or just sit down. The floor is a paved area, we have some astro turf that could be used. Quite a few times he goes when we bring him back in. If successful he gets a treat and praise. Realise that this could take some time, just want to be sure that I can give him the best chance to win. He settles down in his crate with 15 mins of vocal exercise at night and is quite happy to settle during his day time sleeping exercises.

Regards

SW

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, how old is your pup ? It takes some time for them to get to grips with what’s expected of them. I don’t quite understand why you are using a pen ? It might be a bit distracting. I always took Meg to the same area and praised when successful. Now years later she still goes to the same dedicated spot and will wee on command. Are you using a word to associate with the activity? If so just stick with it, it will come together eventually.

3. Silver Wolf

He is only 9wks and only been with us for 5 days. I understand that it will take some time. I'm not expecting too much from him, I just want to ensure that he is getting the best chance. He has been praised and a treat if successful

Lawn area is surrounded with gravel and first few days he seemed quite fond of trying to eat it, so was very concerned that any ingestion may be fatal at such a young age

4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

You might be better taking him out on a lead then, so you can avoid the gravel and let him explore and sniff. Later on you can teach him to leave things like gravel, but that’s a bit later down the line ...good luck and enjoy your pup .

5. Silver Wolf

Thanks for the replies, certainly some things to think about. We did try a lead but seemed to want to bite lead and tug, which is something that I want to avoid as I would like to do some gundog training in the future, if he needs collar and lead now then that’s what we will do. I think that you were correct about the pen. Out on to the lawn last night and he toileted at the predicted time (just after waking up).

Clean in crate and out at 05:30 this morning and then toileted on lawn and gravel. Lots of leaves in garden and it is these that he likes to explore which then starts him on gravel. I think he only chews but does not swallow the gravel not to sure about the leaves, certainly as a good chomp on some of the plants (acer) and seems to quite like the leaves from neighbours’ trees. The garden is new with lots of things to smell, sniff and explore which is only natural.

Can get a collar on when tired and then once on he is fine with it. Although the dilemma as to keep it on if he takes himself to his crate (crate not closed and somebody around).

The lead went on and he started bite it etc. However, with a little patience to stop him mouthing/biting he would tolerate without mouthing for a few minutes. It was then taken off, so he can get used to it in small stages, this was done in the houes to help with any distractions from the garden.

Regards

SW