Puppy pestering older dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lynnew, Oct 30, 2015.

1. lynnew

lynnew Registered Users

Any tips on how to stop the 10 week old pup driving my 7 years old, and very tolerant lab, up the pole? He just wont leave him alone.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Its hard but we used to do a puppy time out in her crate if she got too ott. We could usually predict the time when the evil crazy midge would pop up. I would also distract and play with her and do a bit of training anything to keep her away from the big fella. I would even put him on the sofa and put protective cushons round him just in case.She was usually at her worst when she was tired or over excited.
    The last pup also had this over excited stage and he has been much better we use time outs and I also calm him by getting him to lie down and a stroke him till he's calm and sleepy, its always worked with him.
    He has never jumped all over the big fella (Doug) ever, he did look as if he might once and big dog just gave him a look and he never tried it again. This is the same dog the female Midge used to terroize. I think it was ok if a girl did it cause he wanted to indulge her but if new boy pup tried it no chance.
    Good luck they do get better

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

4. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

We use a crate for time out. some times onyx will put him self in the crate , which is the wrong way round. But hey what ever works. As long as he is happy

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I would definitely recommend a crate, or else use baby gates to separate an area where your older dog can go for a bit of peace and quiet.

This is just a stage; once the puppy gets to around 4 or 5 months old it won't be so bad any more, but it can be quite tough for an older dog to have a wild and wired puppy constantly wanting to play! Make sure you give your older chap lots of affection and time on his own with you; he is being very tolerant and kind and at some point they will probably become best of friends. But he must feel his world have been turned topsy turvy right now!

Also, don't worry if your older boy gives a warning growl or an air snap, or even holds the puppy down. He will be setting his personal boundaries. As I'm sure you've already noticed, most male dogs are endlessly tolerant of young puppies - my old boy never learned to set boundaries with Poppy and we constantly had to protect him from her!

6. lynnew

lynnew Registered Users

thanks everyone - I made a no go area in the corner of the living room and put a very grateful George (senior lab) in it. It worked Henry (new boy) couldn't get him there and we all had a bit of peace

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

8. Northfarm

Northfarm Registered Users

We are also struggling a bit, my older dog puts puppy in her place but sometimes puppy just barks and barks and barks at big dog trying to get her to play. It is driving us all mad. Not sure what to do about the barking!

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - Twiglet did that a LOT! She's grown out of it now - thank goodness. The only way I could stop it was by taking her to another room to play with me. But there are times when you are busy and can't do that.

These big dogs are sooooo patient! :)

10. Northfarm

Northfarm Registered Users

11. Tinypies

Tinypies Registered Users

We found from quite early on Bruin was a bit too full on for our 8yr old Great Dane, Bruin was 12weeks old when we got him, he was jumping up onto him trying to hump him and all sorts (not good for either) or he was hanging off his back legs with his teeth, bless him Murphy just isnt firm enough! Time out in his crate (Bruin not Murphy obviously I dont have a crate big enough for a Great Dane ) was a god send. Now I find if I dont have the toy box around there is not so much fooling around, toys seem to signal the start of rough play as Bruin is not content to amuse himself, he just cant seem to have a toy without thrusting it in Murphy's face constantly, now If I do a bit of obedience with the two of them it works as a distraction and both settle on their beds together. Bruin is now 5mnths and time out is almost extinct! Bruin gets enough play and mental stimulation when he's out running around or on walks which all helps. Murphy loves him to bits (think its partly the ear licking Bruin does!) and he will protect Bruin from the cats, well cat really, we have two but only one is warped! Warped cat insists on sitting on other side of the baby gate swiping Bruin for no reason or she ventures into the kitchen with the dogs while they are sleeping which eventually wakes them up and causes a commotion! Fun & games!

12. jojo

jojo Registered Users

As a new mummy of a 9 week old yellow, who happens to be the spitting image of Rocco (6) although as far as I'm aware they're aren't related, as although Rocco is a rescue he has all his papers. she drives him nuts. she's been politely "woofed' at, ignored, avoided, but still keeps coming, so he's air snapped and growled at her. i know he hates doing it so i give them plenty of time apart with me, and supervised time together with no toys and no food involved. he's being very good and she's an awfully good puppy but when she's having a mad half hour he can't cope.lol. She also barks at him to get him to play which annoys him as well. he does play with her when he initiates though. she's only been here 4 days so its early days. slowly slowly and constant supervision xxx

13. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Time out is very valuable to give the older dog some peace! My two year old Tuppence still behaves like a puppy. Keeping the toys out of reach and having controlled play times works to some extent, but if Tuppence decides it's playtime she'll go to grab a piece of bedding from one of the crates (usually Wispa's!) and bark at Wispa (peacefully sleeping in her day bed), nudging her with the bit of bedding to get her to play!

I still do the shorter on-lead walks separately, too, partly to give each one a bit of individual attention. It's also double the exercise for me!