Puppy play: running fast

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mylestogo, May 22, 2015.

1. Mylestogo

Mylestogo Registered Users

Been thinking about this for some time and wondering what others thoughts are around appropriate play for pups, or even older dogs.

I started questioning when I watched Myles and his lab puppy friend Lucy run around in my friend's back yard. Myles was 4 1/2 months, Lucy 6 months. Myles is a beefier boy (show line lab) and Lucy was a swift fast field type lab. So she would initiate chase and run FAST and Myles would haul his chubby butt trying to keep up with her. It concerned me watching as he is just not conditioned for that and so fearful he would injure himself.

So I guess questioning if pups under 1 year should ever be running fast like that for any reason? If they would just roll around and wrestle I am fine with that. It's the super fast running that concerns me. It's made me hesitant to let him play with her (which is sad because Lucy has a pool!). Am I too cautious on this?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

There is no reason at all why a show line lab - in truly fit condition - can't run around with a working line Labrador. Lightness does not equal fitness, or even being healthy. Sound underlying conformation is the key to health and fitness in both lighter dogs and heavier dogs - nether, of course, should be carrying excess weight in terms of fat. So if Myles really does have a "chubby butt" you should do something about that. :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What she said :)

4. Mylestogo

Ok, I don't think I stated my question clearly. It wasn't one of is my dog too fat to play with another dog, but rather one of what is safe for growing labradors In terms of fast running. There are guidelines for how much you should walk a puppy (5 min per month of age), and that you shouldn't jog with them until a certain age. And avoiding stairs, etc. I was just wondering if there should be any caution around 2 pups being let run as fast as they can in play with the same things in mind (growing joints, etc).

I was joking about Myles chubby butt. He is not overweight, but he will never ever in his fittest state be built like a field labrador.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think your question was clear :) I think there are benefits to energetic play with other dogs (who enjoy the same kind of play). If your dog is basically sound and fit there should be no problem. The important thing is to teach Myles to self-regulate, that is, to slow down and stop occasionally, so it doesn't get too frenzied. That's a behavioural thing though, not a physical thing.

Yes, you should avoid running up and downstairs and things that don't allow the dog to stop and rest (like jogging, or running with a bike). But having a romp with another dog - that's a good thing in my book :)

6. Mylestogo

Thank you. When I first got him I really researched heavily as far as protecting his growing joints, but I had never heard of the 5 minute per month of age rule so I was walking the poor thing like 30-45 minutes at a time a couple times a day. I just hadn't heard not to do this until I came across it googling something else.

Anyway, so seeing him run at full speed with another dog when the other days a week he never is really running like this just had me concerned that it might not be good for him. We are getting better at fetch (has taken awhile to get him to be consistent with it) so hopefully he is getting into better fast running shape and a game of chase with another dog may not worry me so much. Good point on the self-regulating. And Myles does seem to do this so that's good :). Thanks again!

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The 5-minute rule is a bit of a guideline rather than gospel. Although I stuck to it rigorously with my two when they were very young, from reading up more since, it seems the main concern is about walking them for too long on lead, since you are then dictating their pace, which is hard on their joints. Same with jogging. If you're on an off-lead walk, the dog can regulate its own pace, unless it's walking to heel the whole time (very unlikely in a young puppy!), so it's far kinder to the joints. The surface also needs to be taken into consideration. Grass is a lot kinder on the joints than tarmac.

I think, as Rachael says, as long as he works out self-regulation, to take a break every now and again, you're fine to let him hoon about like a mad thing. I can't say whether it's normal or not, my my two are very good at this - when one has had enough, you'll see them have a shake, which is a signal that the game is over, and then they'll both start to bimble around at a much slower pace. If Myles doesn't work this out for himself, though, you might like to pop him on his lead until he's got his breath again.

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Pretty much, what every one has said already. I think the dogs playing together is only a good thing, and having a good run as part of that is a good cardio workout. I would just keep an eye that it doesn't become too boisterous or too much manic running - particularly if it's a hot day. One of my happiest moments each day is seeing Juno running around the garden and having fun - something she hasn't had much of this year due to her elbow. Sit back, relax and enjoy Myles and his doggy friend having fun :D