Puppy play time

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Morzy13, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Morzy13

Morzy13 Registered Users

My little bundle of nips seemed to struggle to greet other dogs properly when we went to a puppy party she was basically just a maniac where the other puppy's were quite calm. The lady said that she could tell Tia was very social but didn't want to be there and when we see other dogs out on a walk she has been desperate to go over pulling on the lead really badly. So when I've seen other dogs I've been distracting her with high value treats and she seemed to be a lot better to the point of a few darting glances at the other dog but always under control because of the treats.

When we were walking yesterday a woman with a little terrier snuk up on me with her dog and tia just was just bouncing around and lunging at the other dog and the other dog did it back but ended up on top of Tia. We untangled them and separated and the woman was saying how lovely Tia was but that I needed to make sure she could play with other dogs which is my first question how do you train her to greet the other dogs and play properly? We had a whippet lurcher cross and has was dandy with other dogs without us doing anything.

On the walk back she was a little sedate and has been when other dogs are around not scared but just less interested in them should I be worried? I'm sure she's not injured.

I would like her to be able to say hello properly and play as she's spending time off lead but I really don't want her to get into a scrap and hurt herself or another dog either.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Morzy. I bet you were the only lab puppy at socialization?
    Cabbies are oversociable and want to play with everybody and everything.
    I am no training expert but it sounds like you have the right idea using food to lure Tia into the behaviours you want.
    If she is looking at the other dogs (wanting to play) but then looking back to you, and being rewarded, I think this is good.
    Hopefully someone with more training skills will chip in though

3. Morzy13

Morzy13 Registered Users

Yeah we were and she is twice the size of the other dogs that were there so the woman taking it was nervous of putting her in with any of the others. Half the battle is getting somewhere without someone wanting to say hello. She's only small and most people love a puppy and don't mind her jumping up or even mouthing their hands which is fine now but it won't be when she's fully grown. I'm going to start asking people to ignore her until she sits and if she jumps up ill just have to take her away until she learns how to greet people.

I'm not sure how to deal with the way she is with other dogs though I'm not sure how you teach to calmly sniff a bum or not play rough.

4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I love that description!
    I'm not an expert trainer by any means, and Cassie, now 15 months, is my first Lab. Really just to say I totally get where you are coming from, especially with the jumping up, people can be so unhelpful. I've had very similar experiences to you at classes.
    I'm sure folk better qualified than me will be along to help soon.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

This is a good plan.
    Same in the house with you and family.
    And when you get home.
    In the same way you don't fuss a dog who is barking to get out a crate. You wait for 4 paws on the ground. Or for her to be quiet. Before responding.

6. Morzy13

Morzy13 Registered Users

Yeah that's the way I'm going no fuss when she's been in for a nap or in the morning etc seems to be having an impact she is definitely a bit calmer.

drjs@5 likes this.
  7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

An older, well socialized bitch who has had puppies of her own can be the best friend you will find for her. If you don't already know such a dog then it's hard to find one, relying on other people's reports. But these bitches tend to be tolerant to a point, then tell puppy off, not by hurting, when they get too rambunctious. It doesn't always translate to other dogs but it can. Same size or bigger too, is good.