Puppy problems

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by mollysmom, May 30, 2014.

1. mollysmom

mollysmom Registered Users

Thank you. You've given me hope. I have a 16 week old chocolate Lab with an insatiable need for play and activity. Leash walking with her is not good. We've tried a Gentle Leader (she paws relentlessly at her face strap) and the Easy Walk Harness (she has bitten through 3 of them in 3 weeks). On a standard collar, she is still learning to not pull (we stand still until she stops pulling). She is not only my first Lab but also my first dog. She has been to 6 sessions of Puppy Kindergarten but she was the most rambunctious of all the dogs there. We plan to wait for 6 weeks before enrolling her in the next group training session (Basic Manners) because she is just so unfocused. Every time she sees a person or another dog, she gets super excited and tries to run over to say hello. Unfortunately, she is so bouncy that she can scare people (although she means no harm) and dogs can misinterpret her youthful exuberance. It's terrible to say, but I'm hoping that my husband and I can hold on until she is older and more in control. We train every day, and we'll try sending her occasionally to doggy daycare (she can safely play with an older female Lab). Sorry to say this, but we are feeling a bit overwhelmed...

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Puppy problems

Hello there, and welcome to the forum!

I think most of us understand the sense of being overwhelmed with a new pup! It can be very trying. But hang in there, it does get much, much, better.

Labradors are such friendly dogs, it is hard to stop them jumping all over people, and other dogs. They do grow up, and become less excitable, but still remain wonderfully friendly.

With the lead walking, she is still very young, a baby. Maybe stick with a flat collar, or back fastening harness, until she get used to lead walking might be best. Lots of articles on the main site that will help with this, but the main tip is teach her to walk alongside you off lead first (in your garden, or safe field, say) and then ask her while wearing a lead.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome :)
    My pup at 10 months old can still be a problem lead walking at the start of a walk, usually at the end of the off lead walk she will walk nicely. I have brought a frount and back fastening harness and double lead which seems to be working (mainly!). She has improved over the past 2 months. As for jumping up at people and other dogs.....yep, been there too, to the stage I was really wary going out at all, but now she mainly ignores other people and dogs as she is so focused on retrieving her ball. Might be worth trying a. All or a toy that makes you more interesting than other people?
    Good luck, you will get there ;)

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I can understand that feeling, the " what the heck have we done " time when nothing goes to plan, I think most of us will recognise it . Try to remember that she is still a puppy , will have the attention span of a tadpole, so make any training sessions very short, regular and fun . I do believe that our dogs pick up on our anxieties , we stress so they stress etc . so try to be very relaxed about her training .
    Welcome to our lovely forum and I promise, things do get easier ;)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to the forum! We have all been there, and know what a shock to the system a new puppy can be. Don't worry, continue with your training, don't lose faith, and things WILL get better. :)

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello from another Molly's Mum.

My girl is now 8 months and I know just what you are going through. Molly was in your face full of energy all the time. I was 66, I couldn't envisage putting up with years of this behaviour. I was looking for an excuse to put her into rescue. But I couldn't. She'd done nothing wrong other than being a normal healthy Labrador puppy. It wasn't my right to disrupt her life.

Four months later she is not quite so frenetic. I find that giving her plenty of exercise helps tremendously. I try to do several training sessions with her a day. They don't tire her out, but they do calm her down.

If this sounds like another "we've been there" reply you are dead right. So take heart there is a wealth of knowledge and sympathy on this site

7. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Welcome to the forum! I think all of us have felt overwhelmed at some stage with our dogs, so don't worry.

They do calm down. It will take time, but it does happen. If you can stick with it through the next couple of months you will come out the other side with a lovely companion.

Don't hesitate to come on here to vent/rant/ask advice/whatever

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome!

The sheer energy and exuberance of a young Labrador can be pretty wearing. You can feel at the end of your tether at times... So we understand where you're coming from!

Do try the doggie daycare. Playing with an older, calmer dog will be good for her as she'll learn that she can't just play relentlessly all the time.

Even though she's pretty excited and finds it hard to concentrate, training classes will be good for her - but do chat with the instructor first about going at your own pace. For your dog, the class might be all about rewarding calmness and attention on you, and it might mean working at a bit more distance away, relative to al the people with more aloof dogs (which we all wish we were at times :) ).

9. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi there and welcome. I think you have got some great advice but just wanted to add she sounds like a very normal young lab. She will get there and I hope you take strength from the folk on here who have been through it. I have a 15 week old and I have had 4 dogs before so was under no illusion how puppy hood would be. I still find it exhausting but cling onto the fact she is a wonderful natured girl and time and patience will settle her down. Hang in there. Emma and Meg :)

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just wanted to say Hi and hope that you are feeling a bit better after reading the replies,you are, surviving through a totally normal part of Labrador rearing x
    Best Wishes
    Angela and 20 month old yellow boy Dexter x