Puppy Proof Bin

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Leanangle, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Is there such a thing?

Bouncer is now big enough to push the lid off out kitchen bin. I have tried duct taping it on but he just gets out his safe cracking skills & gently nibbles the tape until he can get a purchase the rips it off & removes the lid again.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Puppy Proof Bin

We have one that goes in a cupboard. You open the door then have to pull it out. These may be famous last words, but I don't see her getting in any time soon.

3. Steph

Steph Registered Users

I don't think any bin could be 100% puppy proof however we have a tall, pedal bin and haven't seen Holly make one jump at it. Although, what she gets up to at night is another matter. If she's a bin raider, she's a very tidy bin raider!

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ours is also in the cupboard, with a lid - if a pup did start doing the door we'd get childproof locks, but so far so good :)

5. skooch

skooch Registered Users

I just have a brabantia pedal bin and she's never bothered with it. However, I tend not to put leftover food in the indoor bin, anything food wise tends to go straight to the outdoor wheelie bin.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I have a tall metal pedal bin and never had any problems. All food waste gets recycled and is kept in a different bin outside.

7. 46heritageway

46heritageway Registered Users

we have a simply human bin which so far, Ozzie has not tackled to get into, he does try to use it as a stand when he wants to know what we are doing on the work top, so might be worth looking, ours was in the sale at 50% off :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1466399.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:17471341473%7Ctsid:59157%7Ccid:199888953%7Clid:92281154073%7Cnw:g%7Ccrid:54046938033%7Crnd:337310377800179252%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o5%7Cbku:1

8. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=8621.msg121673#msg121673 date=1415179442]
    I have a tall metal pedal bin and never had any problems. All food waste gets recycled and is kept in a different bin outside.
    [/quote]

Our food waste is also rcycled & in a different bin, so nothing tasty in the bin, he is just curious.

9. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

I had this problem too with Otis, really annoying, he would get the lid off then seize something and run off with it. They are a bit pricey, but I bought a good bin from John Lewis, a tall one, with a button you push to open it, the lid actualy fits quite securely, and Otis hasnt figured out how to open it , or shift the lid off yet. I think it was about £60, which seems an awful lot for a blimin bin, but it did solve the problem. Maggie x

10. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Not a bin problem with us but a door problem. .....she can open them!!!! Time to turn the handles upside down :)

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

A friend's lab can open doors, even with the handles upside down. I think it's time they changed to door knobs.

12. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I changed our plastic swing lid bin for a brabantia pedal bin several years ago and have never had any problems since.

Door handles are rather different. Tuppence can open lever-handled doors, especially the door into the garden, which I normally keep locked. It's not a problem unless I want to go into the garden without her, when sometimes I have to sneak out a different way. She has been known to let Wispa in, though, if I've failed to see her waiting at the door!

13. SteveF

SteveF Registered Users

We`ve got a Brabantia "pop top" bin, you push the lid down slightly to open it. Murphy now knows that if he presses his chin on it the lid pops open!! Luckily he`s not quite tall enough to get his head in it, however I fear that one day he will pull it over :eek: