Puppy raw food newbie...

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Hannahvghk, Nov 7, 2019 at 8:24 AM.

1. Hannahvghk

Hannahvghk Registered Users

I have a 28kg, 7 month old and want to switch to raw food. I have been recommended Luna&Me. However their calculator tells me I should feed between 1400-2000g per day. This seems an exceptionally large amount of food for a puppy. Can anyone recommend a raw food supplier and a rough amount I should start feeding? thanks

2. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

That's a crazy amount of food! At 7 months she won't have a huge amount more growing to do. I'd go for feeding 2.5 to3%of her expected adult weight and monitor her weight. I feed my 29 kg very active lab x collie approx 750g per day. He's 2 ½ years old - I used to feed a bit more when he was younger but never more than a kilo.
    You can work out calories in the food she already has using this calculator.
    https://www.pfma.org.uk/dog-calorie-calculator-nrc-method
    There should be enough information on the Luna and me website to calculate the calories in the new food and get an exact match. Id email them if they don't provide this information online. I'd also want to know if it meets FEDIAF guidelines as she is still growing.
    I use a mixture of suppliers myself - I love the new Paleo Ridge range Paleo Plus. It's FEDIAF for all life stages, gives lots of info about calories, micronutrients etc and comes in compostable packaging . It's too expensive for every day though - we do DIY days with meaty bones, offal, fish, veg, butcher's scraps, game and tripe which work out very cheap to offset the cost. I also use Naturaw ( very high quality 80 10 10 but not FEDIAF).

3. Hannahvghk

Hannahvghk Registered Users

Thank you for the info and suggestions. I will take a look. We know our boy is going to be a big but that amount of food just seemed so much....

4. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

There's a chart here for feeding puppies:
    https://dogsdinner2.webs.com/feedingpuppies.htm
    Basically 4.5 to 5.5 % bodyweight at 7months so 1260g - 1560g. Still seems a lot of food but this will reduce as he gets older.
    I'd definitely try to work out how many calories he's having at the moment including treats and go from there.