Puppy Scavenging

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Natalie Jones, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Natalie Jones

Natalie Jones Registered Users

We have a 4 and a half month old puppy - Luna who is lovely and settling in well! But she eats everything when we are out and about and I would really like some advice on how to train her not to scavenge so much. She even licks the sidewalk!!

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi and welcome , I was about to say that they grow out of it , but I`m afraid my 6 year old Lab is still a scavenger ! I guess I`m guilty of not training this out of him when he was a lot younger , he isn't as bad as he was though ! The method used by many is to teach the Leave and/or Drop cue , doing this by offering a treat or a ball , something of high value to the dog and only letting them have it when they comply . Also keeping them close , so that the second they pick something up, you can say the Drop, or if you catch them as they about to pick up, use Leave . Labradors are dreadful scavengers , some owners have to resort to using a soft muzzle on walks which is more about prevention rather than cure !

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Natalie Jones as @kateincornwall has advised the best way to stop the scavending is to train a good strong 'Leave' supported with a good 'Drop' or 'Swap'. It'sounds not a quick fix but once you have a good 'Leave' it has so many uses from food dropped in the kitchen to dead animals on walks and a multitude of other uses :) . The other key element is vigilance to prevent the opportunity to scavenge as every time a dog manages to scavenge it is self rewarding the behaviour and making it that little bit harder to resolve.

4. Chris_Poppy

Chris_Poppy Registered Users

Poppy is exactly the same at 10 months, picks everything up but I have noticed she drops some of it after walking with it in her mouth for a little bit.

5. Natalie Jones

Natalie Jones Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies. I think we certainly need to work on some strong Leave training. Luna is good some of the time but at other times she even licks the sidewalk - not sure how to train that out of her! I can't believe how far off she can smell "good" garbage. It truly is amazing!

6. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

We had an off lead walk in woods yesterday and I was a bit on edge when I saw all the dog poo all along the pathway through the woods :poop:! Fortunately Red (6months) who always likes to pick everything up, passed it all. She was very interested in oak leaves and twigs and was reluctant to give up a large twig. I am finding the 'leave it' command working by and large and I treat her. She is now dropping a ball at my feet on command so I need to start using the word 'drop' when she has something I'd rather she didn't in her mouth. As with all things this is a 'work in progress' but I mention it as she was just like Luna at that age.