Puppy sensitive to chicken?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Newlabpup, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Newlabpup

Newlabpup Registered Users

My pup is 13 weeks now. I've been trying different foods with him while training so that we have different options, and the other night I boiled some chicken thighs and saved the chicken broth. He loooooves both, but we had to go to the vet and so he got a lot of extra chicken to behave. Last night and today he has had really really runny poop :( I thought that chicken was supposed to be good for puppy tummies! Any thoughts?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It could have just been too much food, not necessarily that you will have a long term problem giving him chicken. Or just too much of a new food.

Having said that, my dog gets awful runny poo with mass produced chicken. I had him on an exclusion diet for a while before we identified this. He will also get runny poo if a new protein source is introduced quickly, but then settles down again.

3. Newlabpup

Newlabpup Registered Users

Thank you, that makes sense. He has never had chicken before and we gave him A LOT. I'm hoping we just introduced it too fast.

4. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

We had this with Dexter after his first off leash time. Now I only give him tiny bits and not as much. This has worked, it was more a case of too much food and too much chicken but he was fantastic at recall.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

If he had a lot of food in total, then that's probably it - especially combined with he fact it was a new type of food. Shadow has always been on the skinny side - he was rather too thin when he came to us - so I've often been trying to get a bit of meat on his bones, but if I increase his food too much, he gets a runny tummy. Now he's stopped growing upwards, he has started to fill out a bit, now, and he doesn't look like a Belsen victim anymore ;)

Don't be afraid to try the chicken again, just make sure you introduce it a bit more slowly and take it into account with his meal allowance. No dog should be deprived of warm roast chicken, dripping in juices, unless he has a real intolerance :)

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My dog has a real intolerance, i don't use it at all now and he's fine. just try smaller amounts it just may have been too much stuff for a pup. I use fish instead its a bit stinky but i dont mind

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie says warm duck, dripping in juices, is just as good though. :D

8. SwampDonkey

My dogs found a big of cooked pork yesterday in a bush just waiting for the fall out. Managed to get most of it off them and then got them to leave the rest. They think I'm very unreasonable

9. SwampDonkey

I mean a big bag....................

10. snowbunny

Even better! Mine had a bit a couple of days ago when I cooked magret for dinner. They're not getting that on a regular basis, though, they're already spoiled enough :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have training this Sunday. Before we took chicken out of Charlie's diet, we'd cook a big chicken on a Saturday night so there would be plenty left over for dog training on the Sunday.

This week, I told OH to order something else but make sure there would be enough left over for Charlie's training. OH order rolled sirloin. Yum-yum, lucky Charlie.

Charlie says having an intolerance to chicken is not turning out all that badly....

12. snowbunny

:D :D :D

We had a huge rib of beef last Sunday. There was plenty left over. Sadly for the dogs, most ended up in sandwiches with lashings of horseradish. Puppy abuse...

13. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

H has had tummy troubles with chicken kibble, so we give him a lamb variety. He's fine with freshly cooked chicken and rice.

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Poor Dexter ,deprived dog of mine....magnet,duck and sirloin? It's a 'fast' day on the high value scale when he gets chicken broth soaked kibble.....

15. fduvall

fduvall Registered Users

Our Lili had a lot of trouble finding foods that didn't give her diarrhea. Chicken and grains seemed to be problematic, though as she got older the chicken sensitivity seemed to go away. Good luck!

16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

New foods often give puppies runny poos. I stick to kibble for the first 15 weeks, then slowly introduce different treats one at a time, starting with fish4dogs.

The pups have all been trained fine with kibble then fish treats.

Twiglet (18 weeks) has brilliant recall, she came straight back to the whistle from playing with two young pups today. For a jackpot I do like Newbie Lab Owner and give a lot of bits of treat one after the other.

My friend has a Lab who is very, seriously allergic to all chicken - so it can happen. It would be worth keeping him off it for a week or two, then doing a trial run. :)