Puppy shedding like crazy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by andrjor, Mar 24, 2019.

1. andrjor

andrjor Registered Users

Hi all,
    First of all, my puppy is not a pure labrador, but rather a mix between a labrador and a pointer. The person we adopted it from said it was mostly labrador, but I dont know. His face is more pointer like.

We got him when he was around 4 months and he is 6,5 months now, and all that time he has been shedding like crazy. When he has been on the floor for some hours it looks like we havent vacuumed in two weeks. I use the furninator tool maybe 15 minutes a day and it removes a lot of hair, but still tons of the hair end up on the floor.

I knew labrador shedded naturally but this seems too much. I have thought about it being a seasonal change but we got him early february so I think that was a bit early for that.
    I have also read about puppies losing their puppy coat but I cannot find if that causes more shedding or not.
    We went to the vet (not for this reason) and he said the dog looks healthy. There are also not any bald spots on his body and he seems like he is healthy and active in general.

Also, do any one have any ideas about what his final size will be from experience? He now weighs 26kg and he is a huge boy.

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Buy a Furminator and give him a good groom with it outside. My experience is that they lose their coats at certain times and when that happens, it is a LOT of hair coming off - but then it stops...

3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

At 26 weeks, Cooper was 62 lbs (28.2kg) and is now about 80lbs (36 kg) Might give you some idea where yours is going. Cooper is pure lab, but looks like she could be part Pointer from her long legs.

Labs shed a lot. Only 2x per year, each time for 6 months. Furminator will help, as will a zoom and groom rubber brush.